About This Chapter
NMTA Phys Ed: Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter look at various anatomical disorders along with diseases or conditions that sometimes occur within the circulatory and muscular systems of the human body. Learn from each of the lessons with the goal of correctly addressing related questions on the NMTA Physical Education examination. You'll be able to explore the components of the central nervous system and discover some of the causes of pneumonia and tuberculosis as you complete the lessons. Utilize this chapter in order to:
- Identify disorders of the skeletal, muscular and circulatory systems
- Describe obstructive and infective respiratory diseases
- Classify certain neurological disorders of the peripheral and central nervous systems
- Discuss health concerns associated with the gastrointestinal tract
- Explain the interactions and movements that occur between the human body's systems
- Describe the ways in which activity and inactivity affects the human body
When studying these lessons, you can revisit topics that you've probably learned about before. Voiced by experts, the online lessons are divided into various sections by subject, making it possible for you to hone in on areas in which you require more review. For the purpose of allowing you to test your knowledge and progress, there are self-assessment quizzes along with a practice chapter examination.
1. Common Disorders of the Skeletal System
The skeletal system is a very important body system, and there are some common disorders that specifically affect it. Continue reading to learn about them, including their symptoms and treatment.
2. Common Disorders of the Muscular System
In this lesson we'll review the basics of the muscular system and explain three common disorders: strains and tears, rhabdomyolysis, and muscular dystrophy.
3. Major Disorders of the Circulatory System
In this lesson we'll first review what the circulatory system is. Then we'll explore three major types of disorders in the circulatory system: heart attack, stroke, and atherosclerosis.
4. Important Respiratory Diseases: Obstructive, Restrictive & Infective
This lesson will discuss the different categories of respiratory diseases, including infectious, obstructive, and restrictive. Examples of each category will also be discussed.
5. Categorization of Neurological Disorders: Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems Disorders
This lesson explores two major parts of the nervous system. You'll learn what the nervous system is and what types of problems can affect each system.
6. Gastrointestinal Health & Digestive Problems
In this lesson, you will learn about digestive health, your gastrointestinal tract and what you can do to keep it healthy. You will also learn about symptoms of common digestive problems.
7. Interaction Among Body Systems & Movement
In this lesson we discuss how body systems interact to create movement. We explain how the eleven body systems are indeed interdependent and interconnected and how they actually work together in unison.
8. Effects of Physical Activity on Body Systems
In this lesson we'll discuss the effects, both short-term and long-term, of physical activity on each of the major systems of the human body. In addition, we'll discuss both the positive and negative effects of exercise.
9. How Inactivity Affects Human Body Systems
Physical inactivity affects you inside and out from head to toe. This lesson discusses how a lack of exercise can lead to a variety of physical disorders in many of your body systems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Physical Education (506): Practice & Study Guide course
- NMTA Phys Ed: Motor Development & Learning
- NMTA Phys Ed: Movement Concepts & Biomechanics
- NMTA Phys Ed: Techniques & Skills for Physical Activity
- NMTA Phys Ed: Basic Sports Skills
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Skeletal System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Muscular System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Circulatory System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Respiratory System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Nervous System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Digestive System
- NMTA Phys Ed: Principles of Physical Fitness Training
- NMTA Phys Ed: Improving Fitness, Strength & Endurance
- NMTA Phys Ed: Body Composition & Health
- NMTA Phys Ed: Human Growth & Development
- NMTA Phys Ed: Social Benefits of Physical Activity
- NMTA Phys Ed: Learning Respect with Physical Activity
- NMTA Phys Ed: Educational Goals, Philosophies & Purposes
- NMTA Phys Ed: Management, Motivation & Communication
- NMTA Phys Ed: Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- NMTA Phys Ed: Assessment in Physical Education
- NMTA Phys Ed: Legal, Ethical & Professional Issues
- NMTA Physical Education Flashcards