About This Chapter
NMTA Phys Ed: Improving Fitness, Strength & Endurance - Chapter Summary
Our professional instructors have composed these lessons to help teacher candidates like you prepare for questions on the National Evaluation Series (NES) Physical Education exam regarding the different types of physical activities and their effects. Follow along in these lessons to study:
- The processes of developing aerobic endurance
- Age-appropriate cardiorespiratory activities
- Techniques of monitoring and assessing aerobic activities
- Practices and processes of developing muscle strength and endurance
- Benefits of developing aerobic and muscle strength and endurance
- Progressive resistance exercises
- Ways of developing posture and flexibility
Following these lessons, take the lesson quizzes to discover topics that you don't understand. Once you have completed all the lessons and assessments of this chapter, complete the practice chapter exam to test your overall understanding of the material presented in these lessons. If you find a topic that confuses you, you can ask our instructors for assistance via the teacher tabs of the lessons.
NMTA Phys Ed: Improving Fitness, Strength & Endurance Objectives
Individuals with the intention of becoming physical education teachers in New Mexico need to pass the NES Physical Education exam. This computer-based certification exam measures test takers' knowledge of physical education with a series of 150 multiple-choice questions. On test day you will be asked to complete these questions in a three-hour testing session. You can expect 25% of these questions to be about lifelong physical fitness and to include some questions about improving physical fitness.
1. Developing Aerobic Endurance
What is aerobic endurance, and how do you increase this metric that is beneficial for so many sports? This lesson describes its basic principles and outlines how to develop skills and ensure safety while practicing.
2. Cardiorespiratory Fitness Activities for Various Levels
Cardiorespiratory fitness is important at all ages and at all levels of development. This lesson will explore the many different types of fitness activities for various levels of fitness. We will end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
3. Assessing Cardiorespiratory Fitness: Techniques & Resources
In this lesson we review ways to assess cardiorespiratory fitness. We describe the resources and techniques utilized to perform these tests and monitor endurance levels. We also elaborate on self-assessment techniques as well.
4. The Benefits of Incorporating Daily Cardio Exercise
In this lesson we will describe some of the health benefits of regular cardio exercise and offer a few suggestions for how to include it in daily activities.
5. Developing Strength & Muscle Endurance
In this lesson we review ways to develop both strength and muscle endurance. We discuss principles and processes for achieving these skills and physiological goals along with crucial safety practices as well.
6. The Benefits of Building Muscular Strength & Endurance
In this lesson we'll be learning about the benefits of muscular strength training and endurance. Here, you'll learn the benefits of each as well as different exercises you can do to improve your training.
7. Progressive Resistance Exercise: Definition & Types
Progressive resistance exercise is one of the best ways to get ongoing positive results from your workout. This lesson will describe progressive resistance exercise and define its three main types: isotonic, isokinetic, and isometric.
8. Strategies for Developing Correct Posture
In this lesson we will discuss the components of developing correct posture. We will explore the different ways to improve posture and how correct posture can lead to a healthier lifestyle.
9. Physiological Components Contributing to Flexibility
There are both internal and external factors that affect your flexibility. Some flexibility can be gained through training, while some limitations cannot be overcome with practice. Let's look at flexibility a bit closer.
10. Developing Flexibility: Principles & Skills
In this lesson, we will tackle two questions: Why do I need flexibility? How do I gain flexibility? Stretching and flexibility help us stay limber, remain injury free, improve performance, and generally achieve better health and wellness.
11. Assessing Flexibility: Techniques, Resources & Self-Assessment
In this lesson, we assess flexibility and discuss resources and techniques for doing so. We also review methodologies for self-assessment. We elaborate on seven of the most popular tests that are available to measure flexibility.
12. Using Biomechanics for Safe & Efficient Exercise
In this lesson you explore ways to use biomechanics for safe and efficient exercise. You define biomechanics and you learn how they apply to some of the most popular sports in the world. You also learn about types of muscles and muscle movements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Physical Education (506): Practice & Study Guide course
- NMTA Phys Ed: Motor Development & Learning
- NMTA Phys Ed: Movement Concepts & Biomechanics
- NMTA Phys Ed: Techniques & Skills for Physical Activity
- NMTA Phys Ed: Basic Sports Skills
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Skeletal System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Muscular System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Circulatory System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Respiratory System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Nervous System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Digestive System
- NMTA Phys Ed: Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology
- NMTA Phys Ed: Principles of Physical Fitness Training
- NMTA Phys Ed: Body Composition & Health
- NMTA Phys Ed: Human Growth & Development
- NMTA Phys Ed: Social Benefits of Physical Activity
- NMTA Phys Ed: Learning Respect with Physical Activity
- NMTA Phys Ed: Educational Goals, Philosophies & Purposes
- NMTA Phys Ed: Management, Motivation & Communication
- NMTA Phys Ed: Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- NMTA Phys Ed: Assessment in Physical Education
- NMTA Phys Ed: Legal, Ethical & Professional Issues
- NMTA Physical Education Flashcards