About This Chapter
NMTA Phys. Ed: Learning Respect With Physical Activity - Chapter Summary
This chapter aims to develop your understanding of why physical activity serves an important role in promoting respect. You will review specific aspects of respect that physical activity impacts to give you the knowledge necessary to answer pertinent questions on the NMTA Physical Education exam. Topics that will be addressed in these lessons include:
- Accommodating diversity in physical education classes
- Relationship between personal background and levels of physical activity
- Techniques for developing sports and recreational activities sensitive to appropriate levels
- Promoting diversity through physical activities
- Socialization's impact on gender development
- Culture's influence on expectations for different skill levels
- Gender equality in education systems
This chapter provides you with the opportunities to take brief self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson and a cumulative exam upon completion of the chapter to help you gauge your comprehension level of the reviewed content. Your progress throughout the chapter will be denoted on the Dashboard feature, which will help you keep track of how much you have left to study.
1. The Influence of Personal Background on Physical Activity
What sports do you love to play? Have you ever considered that your personal background may actually influence why you play one sport versus another? This lesson will describe how background factors influence your choices for physical activity.
2. Identifying Level-Appropriate Sports & Recreational Activities
In this lesson, we'll discuss some sports and recreational activities that are appropriate for different ages, different purposes, and also for varying developmental levels.
3. Understanding Diversity Through Fitness
This lesson defines the terms respect and acceptance. It also discusses how teachers can use sports and games to help students understand diversity and how to appreciate others that are different from them.
4. The Impact of Socialization on Gender
The following lesson covers how boys and girls are taught how to be boys and girls and where and by whom they are taught this behavior. A short quiz will follow to check your understanding.
5. How Culture Influences Social Perceptions & Expectations
A large portion of our children's lives are spent consumed with media images. In some cases, the impressions that children develop about what is normal may be skewed by media sources. Let's look at the impact media has on our children.
6. Improving Gender Equality in Education
A person's gender can influence the way they experience the educational system. Watch this lesson to find out more about improving gender equality in education, including the impact that Title IX had on gender equality.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Physical Education (506): Practice & Study Guide course
- NMTA Phys Ed: Motor Development & Learning
- NMTA Phys Ed: Movement Concepts & Biomechanics
- NMTA Phys Ed: Techniques & Skills for Physical Activity
- NMTA Phys Ed: Basic Sports Skills
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Skeletal System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Muscular System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Circulatory System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Respiratory System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Nervous System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Digestive System
- NMTA Phys Ed: Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology
- NMTA Phys Ed: Principles of Physical Fitness Training
- NMTA Phys Ed: Improving Fitness, Strength & Endurance
- NMTA Phys Ed: Body Composition & Health
- NMTA Phys Ed: Human Growth & Development
- NMTA Phys Ed: Social Benefits of Physical Activity
- NMTA Phys Ed: Educational Goals, Philosophies & Purposes
- NMTA Phys Ed: Management, Motivation & Communication
- NMTA Phys Ed: Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- NMTA Phys Ed: Assessment in Physical Education
- NMTA Phys Ed: Legal, Ethical & Professional Issues
- NMTA Physical Education Flashcards