About This Chapter
NMTA Phys Ed: Social Benefits of Physical Activity - Chapter Summary
These lessons have been composed to help you study the different benefits of participating in regular physical activity and being fit. In them our expert instructors will help you prepare for questions on the NMTA Physical Education exam about:
- The relationship between physical fitness and pro-social behavior
- How physical activities can improve self-concepts, well-being and self-management skills
- Sociocultural benefits of participating in physical activities
- Uses of physical fitness to promote personal challenges, healthy competition and achievement
- The use of student reflection to get students to assume responsibility of their learning
To ensure you retained the information presented in these lessons, take lesson quizzes that accompany these videos. After each quiz, review your quiz results to discover the topics you don't understand and use the video tags to return to and re-study the sections of the lessons that explained them. If you have any questions about any of the topics covered in this chapter ask our instructors for assistance with the teacher tabs of the lessons.
NMTA Phys Ed: Social Benefits of Physical Activity - Chapter Objectives
In New Mexico, physical education teacher candidates are required to pass the NMTA Physical Education exam and demonstrate their knowledge of physical education. This computer-based certification exam is composed of 150 multiple-choice questions, which you will be asked to complete in a three-hour testing session. Twenty-five percent of these questions will be about lifelong physical fitness and will include some questions about the social benefits of physical activity.
1. Promoting Positive Behavior With Fitness
In this lesson, we will read about ways to promote positive behavior with fitness. We will explore the related methodologies including health promotion, crime reduction, community involvement, and social media. We'll also look at important developmental aspects such as honesty and sportsmanship.
2. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
3. The Sociocultural Benefits of Participating in Fitness
Physical activity offers many benefits. This lesson will focus on the sociocultural benefits of participation in physical activities. We will end with a short quiz to gauge what you have learned.
4. How Fitness Promotes Healthy Competition & Achievement
In this lesson we review ways fitness promotes both achievement and healthy competition. We also discuss some of the other positive benefits of fitness and elaborate on healthy alternatives to risky behaviors.
5. Activities for Promoting Student Self Reflection
In this lesson, we will look at teaching strategies for student self reflection. By the end of this lesson, you'll have some practical strategies for your classroom that put students at the center of their learning.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Physical Education (506): Practice & Study Guide course
- NMTA Phys Ed: Motor Development & Learning
- NMTA Phys Ed: Movement Concepts & Biomechanics
- NMTA Phys Ed: Techniques & Skills for Physical Activity
- NMTA Phys Ed: Basic Sports Skills
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Skeletal System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Muscular System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Circulatory System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Respiratory System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Nervous System
- NMTA Phys Ed: The Digestive System
- NMTA Phys Ed: Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology
- NMTA Phys Ed: Principles of Physical Fitness Training
- NMTA Phys Ed: Improving Fitness, Strength & Endurance
- NMTA Phys Ed: Body Composition & Health
- NMTA Phys Ed: Human Growth & Development
- NMTA Phys Ed: Learning Respect with Physical Activity
- NMTA Phys Ed: Educational Goals, Philosophies & Purposes
- NMTA Phys Ed: Management, Motivation & Communication
- NMTA Phys Ed: Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- NMTA Phys Ed: Assessment in Physical Education
- NMTA Phys Ed: Legal, Ethical & Professional Issues
- NMTA Physical Education Flashcards