About This Chapter
Non-Causal Relationships in Statistics - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors present non-causal explanations for statistical relationships, including coincidence, confounding variables and common response. These lessons provide a convenient, self-paced way to study statistics on a computer or mobile device. After reviewing this chapter, you should be ready to do the following:
- Give an example of a coincidence
- Explain how confounding variables can occur in statistics
- Avoid lurking variables in your research
Finish your homework or study for a test by checking out our mobile-friendly lessons and quizzes. Each text or video lesson is followed by a multiple-choice quiz so you can see how well you're progressing through the chapter. Our instructors are available to help if you find you need assistance as you work through these statistics topics.
1. Confounding Variables in Statistics: Definition & Examples
Statistics can be a powerful tool in helping researchers understand and solve problems. However, there are faults that can occur in statistical research. In this lesson, you will learn about one of these faults: confounding variables.
2. Lurking Variable in Statistics: Definition & Example
One thing you do not want lurking around your research study is a lurking variable. They are sneaky and underhanded and really know how to make you question the results of a study. In this lesson, learn what they are and how to keep them away.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Further Mathematics: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Population & Samples
- Categorical Data Representation
- Numerical Data Representation
- Data Distribution
- Correlation & Causation in Math
- Linear Relationships
- Time Series Data
- Recursion & Financial Modeling
- Concepts of Financial Mathematics
- Matrices Overview
- Graphs & Networks
- Paths & Circuits
- Problem Solving With Networks
- Geometric Solids
- Measurement & Trigonometry
- Spherical Geometry
- Applications of Spherical Geometry
- Graphs & Relations
- Linear Programming Overview
- VCE Further Mathematics Flashcards