About This Chapter
Nonlinear Equations & Inequalities - Chapter Summary
If you're interested in strengthening your knowledge of nonlinear equations and inequalities, this chapter can help! Explore fun videos at your convenience to learn about quadratic equations and formulas. Lessons examine important definitions and formulas for solving these equations. After reviewing this chapter, you will be ready to do the following:
- Define a quadratic equation
- Solve a quadratic equation using the quadratic formula
- Use factoring to solve a quadratic equation
- Provide the meaning of the absolute-value inequality
- Solve and graph an absolute value inequality
Lessons are accessible from any computer, smartphone or tablet and are available as both videos and full transcripts. Review them in any sequence to ensure your study of nonlinear equations and inequalities matches your specific learning needs. When ready, gauge your understanding of this chapter by taking short lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. And be sure to submit any questions you have about lesson topics to our experts!
1. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
2. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
3. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
4. The Absolute-Value Inequality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve absolute value inequalities. Learn how you can easily set up your problem to successfully solve your problem each and every time.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Math Subject Concentration (5158): Practice & Study Guide course
- Real & Rational Numbers
- Exponents & Operations
- Properties of Operations
- Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- Number Theory & Estimation
- Radical & Exponential Expressions
- Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Systems of Equations
- Sequences & Patterns in Math
- Understanding & Comparing Functions
- Function Graphs & Models
- Perimeter, Area & Volume Overview
- Properties of Angles & Lines
- Properties of Shapes Overview
- Geometric Relationships & Transformations
- Systems of Measurement & Conversion
- Geometric Construction
- Data Interpretation in Math
- Dispersion & Probability Models
- Logical Reasoning & Visual Representations of Data
- Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Math Subject Concentration (5158) Flashcards