About This Chapter
Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs - Chapter Summary
Entertaining lessons in this chapter provide an in-depth analysis of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Our instructors examine the basics of ibuprofen and celecoxib, including their side effects, dosages, contraindications, mechanisms of action and interactions. Lessons also explore differences between celecoxib and meloxicam and make comparisons between ibuprofen and other drugs like acetaminophen, aspirin, nabumetone and flurbiprofen.
Enjoy access to the lessons anytime your schedule permits, thanks to 24/7 mobile access. Study your lessons of choice and visit as often as needed to fully understand these nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Our multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam can check your knowledge of the lessons. Use the Dashboard to track your progress and submit questions about specific topics to our experts.
How It Helps
Healthcare professionals who want to brush up on their knowledge of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can benefit from this chapter. Physicians, nurses, pharmacists and other medical professionals can get reacquainted with the dosages, uses, side effects, overdose symptoms and other important details to share with patients. Medical scientists could also utilize this chapter to enhance their study of interactions, contraindications, chemical formulas and mechanisms of action for these drugs.
Once you've completed this chapter, you will be able to:
- Share facts about ibuprofen's side effects, dangers and overdose symptoms
- Discuss the uses, classification, dosage, contraindications and interactions of ibuprofen
- Describe ibuprofen's pharmacology, pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Compare ibuprofen with naproxen, acetaminophen, aspirin and diclofenac
- Give similarities and differences between ibuprofen and etodolac, indomethacin, nabumetone, hydrocodone and flurbiprofen
- Explain the chemical formula, mechanism of action and structure of ibuprofen
- Provide the side effects, drug class and dosage of celecoxib
- Discuss celecoxib's indications, contraindications, drug interactions, structure and mechanism of action
- Differentiate between celecoxib and meloxicam
1. What is Celecoxib? - Side Effects, Dosage & Drug Class
Celecoxib can be used to good effect for many different problems. However, it's not without its own potential problems. Find out more in this lesson on this drug's side effects, dosage, and drug class.
2. Celecoxib: Contraindications, Indications & Drug Interactions
This lesson goes over the contraindications and indications of a drug called celecoxib. You'll also learn about some example drug interactions between this drug and others.
3. Celecoxib: Mechanism of Action & Structure
This lesson is going to teach you about the mechanism of action behind a drug called celecoxib. You'll learn what it does and exactly how that happens.
4. Meloxicam vs. Celecoxib
This lesson will compare two non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications: meloxicam (Mobic) and celecoxib (Celebrex). You will learn to compare and contrast both drugs based on how they work, effectiveness in pain relief, and side effects and risk considerations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Pharmacology course
- History & Types of Pharmacology
- Basics of Pharmacology
- Formulas & Calculations for Pharmacology
- Dosage Analysis in Pharmacology
- Pharmacology & Physiology
- Respiratory Medications
- Endocrine System Medications
- Therapeutic Responses in Pharmacology
- Stimulants & Pharmacology
- Medicinal Herbology
- Alternative Medicine & Pharmacology
- Alternative Medicine for Digestive Issues
- Reproductive Health & Pharmacology
- Cancer, Abnormal Cells & Pharmacology
- 5-HT3 Antagonist Drugs
- Anorectic Medications
- Medications for Colds & Coughs
- Medications for Infection Control
- Understanding & Administering Doxycycline
- Anticonvulsant Medications
- Overview of Antihistamines
- Understanding & Administering Loratadine
- Overview of Cholinergic Drugs
- GABA Analogue Medications
- Sodium Channel Blockers
- Understanding Steroids
- Uric Acid Reducers
- Anesthesia & Pharmacology