About This Chapter
1. Theory of NMR Spectroscopy: Procedure & Types
The preparation of NMR samples covers how to make the sample for an NMR instrument. In this lesson, you will learn what to do when you have trouble preparing a sample. You will also find what basic types of information you can expect from an NMR.
2. Alpha Particle: Definition, Symbol & Properties
This lesson will explain what an alpha particle is and what symbols are used to represent it, and will also describe the properties of alpha particles. A short quiz will follow.
3. Atomic Nucleus: Definition, Structure & Size
The atomic nucleus is the central part of the atom. There is a lot to be told by the structure of the atomic nucleus. This lesson goes through the structure of the atomic nucleus and other factors that the atomic nucleus tells us.
4. Background Radiation: Definition, Causes & Examples
This lesson will define background radiation, explain how it is measured, discuss some of the sources and examples of background radiation, and briefly consider the risk to humans. A short quiz will follow.
5. Beta Particle: Definition & Symbol
In this lesson, we will learn what a beta particle is and introduce the symbol that represents it. We will also learn about both the dangers and the uses of beta particles.
6. Infrared Radiation: Definition, Uses & Effects
This lesson will explain what infrared radiation is and discuss a number of practical uses and effects of infrared, including its connection to climate change and the way the atmosphere responds to infrared waves. A short quiz will follow.
7. Radioactive Decay: Definition, Formula & Types
In this lesson, we'll discuss radioactive decay and learn the terms parent nucleus, daughter nucleus, and half-life. We'll also examine three types of radioactive decay.
8. What Are Radioactive Substances? - Examples & Uses
This lesson will explain what a radioactive substance is, give examples of radioactive substances and describe how radioactivity is used in everyday life.
9. What is Fission? - Definition, Reaction & Theory
In this lesson, you'll learn what nuclear fission is, how it works, and what it has to do with Einstein's theory of relativity. You'll also be introduced to a fission equation and the dangers and uses of fission.
10. What Is Nuclear Fission? - Definition & Process
The nuclei of some atoms decay by breaking into two smaller, more stable nuclei during a process called nuclear fission. Learn more about the process of nuclear fission and test your knowledge with a quiz.
11. What Is Nuclear Fusion? - Definition & Process
Learn about the process of nuclear fusion and where it occurs naturally in our universe. Then go further by learning how we have harnessed its power and about some future possible uses for nuclear fusion.
12. What is Radiation? - Definition, Causes & Effects
Learn about the reality and pervasiveness of radiation in our world. Discover some of the causes of radiation, and find out about the risks and rewards of harnessing it for our use.
13. What is Ultraviolet Radiation? - Definition, Uses & Effects
In this lesson you will learn what ultraviolet radiation is, how it is used, and its effects on humans, both positive and negative. A short quiz will follow.
14. What is UV Radiation? - Definition, Types & Effects
It's summertime, and you're applying sunscreen to avoid sunburn. But did you wonder what sunscreen does and what it protects us from? In this lesson, we'll learn all about UV radiation and some of its effects.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the General Studies Science: Help & Review course
- Chemical Compounds & Bonds Overview
- Drawing Conclusions from a Scientific Investigation
- Electricity Fundamentals & Overview
- Energy & Heat Overview
- Essential Biology Concepts
- Essential Chemistry Concepts
- Essential Concepts in Physics
- Evolutionary Principles
- Food Webs Overview
- Foundations of Chemical Compounds & Bonds
- Foundations of Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases
- Foundations of Energy & Heat
- Foundations of Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Mechanics
- Lab Equipment for Scientific Study
- Measurement & the Metric System Fundamentals
- Planning a Scientific Investigation Or Experiment
- Plant & Soil Ecology
- Populations & Relationships in Ecology
- Sound & Light Waves
- Studying Biological Communities
- The Periodic Table, Atoms & Elements
- Using Data for Investigation & Experimentation