About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Nucleic Acids chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids and Phosphodiester Bonds||Understanding the composition of nucleotides|
|Tuesday||DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids and Phosphodiester Bonds||A description of nucleic acids, RNA and DNA|
|Wednesday||DNA: Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, Thymine and Complementary Base Pairing||The functions of DNA's four nitrogenous bases|
|Thursday||DNA: Double Helix Structure and Hereditary Molecule||How the double helix structure of DNA was first identified|
|Friday||Differences Between RNA and DNA and Types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA and rRNA)||Understanding the composition of DNA and RNA|
1. DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids & Phosphodiester Bonds
In this lesson, you'll discover what nucleotides look like and how they come together to form polynucleotides. We'll also explore nucleic acids and focus on DNA in particular.
2. DNA: Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, Thymine & Complementary Base Pairing
Learn the language of nucleotides as we look at the nitrogenous bases adenine, guanine, cytosine and thymine. Armed with this knowledge, you'll also see why DNA strands must run in opposite directions.
3. DNA: Discovery, Facts, Structure & Function in Heredity
This lesson will help you to navigate the twists and turns of DNA's structure. We'll also clue you in on the amazing discoveries that put this nucleic acid in the limelight as the molecule of heredity.
4. Differences Between RNA and DNA & Types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA & rRNA)
In this lesson, you'll explore RNA structure and learn the central dogma of molecular biology. Along the way, you'll meet the three types of RNA and see how the cell uses them most effectively.
5. DNA Mutation Lesson Plan
Learning about DNA mutations can be fun for your students. They will watch and discuss a video lesson, demonstrate causes of mutations, present characteristics or diseases caused by mutations and take a quiz in this lesson plan.
6. Recombinant DNA Lesson Plan
Recombinant DNA has made its way into our everyday lives in our food supply. Your students can be introduced to this technology as they read and discuss a text lesson, create recombinant DNA using paper, compile pros and cons lists, and take a quiz.
7. DNA Structure Lesson Plan
Just as strands of DNA are the building blocks of life, use this lesson plan to build up your instruction on its basic history and molecular structure. This lesson plan will provide you with a text lesson to jump start your unit as well as a hands-on activity that allows students to build their own blocks of life.
8. DNA Model Activities
Every DNA unit needs a DNA model! This lesson describes four fun and engaging DNA models that can be incorporated into your curriculum. Each model is designed to be completed in the classroom with everyday, household items.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Chemistry Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Unit Conversion Lesson Plans
- Experimental Laboratory Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Properties of Matter Lesson Plans
- Atomic Structure Lesson Plans
- The Periodic Table Lesson Plans
- The Representative Elements of the Periodic Table Lesson Plans
- Nuclear Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Chemical Bonding Lesson Plans
- Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids Lesson Plans
- Gases in Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Solutions in Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Stoichiometry Lesson Plans
- Acids & Bases Lesson Plans
- Equilibrium Lesson Plans
- Chemistry Kinetics Lesson Plans
- Thermodynamics in Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Organic Chemistry Basics Lesson Plans
- DNA Replication Lesson Plans