About This Chapter
Number Line & the Coordinate Graph - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's fun video lessons to review number lines and coordinate graphs. Instructors detail the components of these number lines and graphs as well as how to work with them. You'll take a look at ordered pairs and points on a coordinate plane. You will also refresh your memory of measuring distance between points and solving math problems using number lines. Once you study the lessons in the chapter, you can do the following:
- Identify the parts of number lines and graphs
- Use a number line to solve addition and subtraction problems
- Plot points on a coordinate plane
- Locate and graph ordered pairs on a coordinate plane
- Measure the distance between two points
Our video lessons make reviewing these math topics a simple and engaging activity. The short videos are full of examples and visuals to help reinforce the concepts. They also include a jump feature on each video timeline so that you can go back and rewatch excerpts as needed during study time.
Be sure to check out the self-assessment lesson quizzes, as these are a great way to check your understanding of number lines and coordinate graphs.
1. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
2. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
3. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
4. Ordered Pairs on the Coordinate Plane
In this video lesson, you will see how points are plotted on the coordinate plane. Learn the proper way to identify points on the coordinate plane and how to read the points.
5. How to Find the Distance Between Two Points
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to find the distance between any two points on the coordinate plane. Learn what information you and how to plug them in to your formula.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Contemporary Math: Help and Review course
- Mathematical Reasoning & Problem-Solving: Help and Review
- Statistics Overview: Help and Review
- Probability Overview: Help and Review
- Understanding Discrete Probability Distributions: Help and Review
- The Normal Curve & Continuous Probability Distributions: Help and Review
- The Mathematics of Voting: Help and Review
- The Mathematics of Apportionment: Help and Review
- Graph Theory: Help and Review
- Operations with Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Conics in Algebra
- Algebraic Concepts of Groups & Sets
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- Matrices and Determinants in Algebra
- Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- Approaches to Math Word Problems
- How to Solve Word Problems: Help and Review
- Performing Basic Arithmetic
- Operations with Monomials and Polynomials