About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding material from business math will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding how to solve problems that include percentages, fractions and decimals.
- Need an efficient way to learn percentages, fractions and decimals.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra business learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Number Sense chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Number Sense chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answer to questions including:
- What is a percentage?
- How do I solve problems that use percentages?
- What are the rules for comparing and ordering fractions?
- How do I solve problems that use fractions and mixed numbers?
- What are the rules for ordering decimal numbers?
- How do I solve problems that use decimal numbers?
- How do I change between decimals and percents or between decimals and fractions?
- How do I calculate and convert percentages, fractions and decimals?
- What is the procedure for performing common unit conversions?
- What is the order of operations?
- How can I interpret bar graphs and pie charts?
1. Calculating & Converting Percentages, Fractions & Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert between percentages, fractions, and decimals easily and quickly. Learn the steps you need to take for each type of conversion.
2. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
3. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
4. Common Unit Conversions
Watch this video lesson, and you will become a pro at converting between inches and feet, between feet and yards, and between quarts and gallons. Learn the special numbers involved in each conversion.
5. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
6. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
7. Interpreting Graphical Representations
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to quickly and easily read and interpret any line and bar graph. You will be able to gather important information by just looking at one of these graphs.
8. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
9. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
10. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
11. Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts
In this lesson, we will examine two of the most widely used types of graphs: bar graphs and pie charts. These two graphs can provide the reader with a comparison of the different data that is displayed.
12. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
13. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
14. What is Business Analytics? - Definition & Strategy
This lesson will introduce you to how data is used in business to help make decisions. We will define data analytics and look at some strategies businesses can use.
15. What is Retail Math? - Definition & Examples
Applying basic math skills is critical in evaluating retail performance. In this lesson, we will look at a few examples of retail math formulas and show how they are applied in real world situations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Math: Help and Review course
- Graphing and Evaluating Equations and Functions: Help and Review
- Quadratic Equations and Functions: Help and Review
- Linear Equations and Inequalities: Help and Review
- Depreciation & Salvage Values: Help and Review
- Interest & Purchases: Help and Review
- Probability and Statistics for Business: Help and Review
- Math for Financial Analysis
- Business Math Applications
- Project Management Formulas & Calculations
- Categorical Data