About This Chapter
Number Systems & Representations - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our professional instructors outline number systems and representations. Watch videos on the base-ten system, finding place values and many more related topics at your own pace. After completing these lessons, you should be prepared to achieve these objectives:
- Define real numbers and their properties
- Convert and calculate decimals, percentages and fractions
- Provide a definition and examples of roots and exponents
- Explain expanded form in math
- Convert numbers to scientific notation
- Understand what a rational number is
- Represent numbers and operations using models
We've taken the stress out of preparing for an upcoming exam by making this chapter self-paced and easy to understand. Along with each lesson, we've added a self-assessment quiz that tests your knowledge of the lesson. Each one of our videos contains a handy timeline so you can quickly review specific portions over again as needed.
1. Number Systems and The Base-Ten System
Ever think that a computer doesn't get what you want it to do? Don't be surprised; it is living in a world where it can only count to 1. This lesson explains number systems, including our base-ten system and a computer's base-two system.
2. Finding Place Values in Whole Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to find the location of any place value that you are given. You will also be able to identify them in any whole number.
3. What are Real Numbers? - Definition & Properties
There are many definitions of real numbers, but they all lead to the same conclusion. Real numbers are numbers that have a measurable value. Learn more about real numbers with some examples and a quiz to test your knowledge.
4. Calculating & Converting Percentages, Fractions & Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert between percentages, fractions, and decimals easily and quickly. Learn the steps you need to take for each type of conversion.
5. Exponents & Roots: Definition & Examples
Exponents and roots are used to make numbers much larger or much smaller. In this lesson, we'll learn how to work with exponents and roots. We'll practice a variety of problems involving both, including examples involving negative numbers.
6. What is Expanded Form in Math? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll review place value and find out how it's useful when writing numbers in expanded form. We'll also look at a few examples of numbers written out in expanded form.
7. Converting Numbers to Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any number you come across into scientific notation. You will also learn why scientific notation is used and where you are most likely to see it.
8. What are Rational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about rational numbers and their characteristics. We'll discover what they are, what they aren't and how to distinguish them from other types of numbers.
9. Using Models to Represent Numbers & Operations
In math, models or pictures can be used to represent numbers and operations like addition and subtraction. In this lesson, we'll look at three types of models used to solve problems in math.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExMAT Master Mathematics Teacher EC-4 (087): Study Guide & Practice course
- Basic Operations in Mathematics
- Mental Math & Solving Word Problems
- Foundations of Patterns & Relations in Mathematics
- Using Linear Functions for Problem Solving
- Measurement Units & Applications
- Geometric Concepts & Shapes
- Geometric Relationships & Applications
- Finding Area, Perimeter & Volume
- Geometric Transformations & Symmetry
- Evaluating & Calculating Probability
- Data Visualization & Statistical Analysis
- Communicating Math Concepts
- Historical Development of Math Concepts
- Math Instruction Topics
- Instructional Planning for Effective Math Instruction
- Math Teaching Strategies & Learning Environment
- Inclusion in Math Education
- Math Assessment Planning
- Incorporating Technology into Math Education
- Collaborating with Educational Stakeholders
- Professional Growth in Education
- TExMAT Master Mathematics Teacher EC-4 (087) Flashcards