About This Chapter
Number Theory Concepts - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, our instructors will walk you through different types and properties of numbers. You'll study up on definitions and examples of key number concepts. Specifically, you'll examine:
- Prime and composite numbers
- Finding multiples of numbers
- Factors of numbers and variables
- Odd and even numbers
- Visualizing divisible numbers
- Examples of numbers divisible by numbers 2-10
We seek to make the educational experience engaging and effective, so you'll find several methods for learning. This chapter contains videos that visually explore the material. You can take self-assessment quizzes along the way to test your understanding of the topics. Finally, you can complete the cumulative chapter exam to test how well you've absorbed the information.
1. What Are Prime Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll do a brief review of factors, and then learn how factors make prime numbers unique. You can also test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
2. What Are Composite Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what composite numbers are and briefly touch on prime numbers. You'll also learn a couple of rules about composite numbers. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
3. What is a Multiple in Math? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson we will learn about multiples, a useful concept usually introduced in grammar school multiplication tables. Understanding multiples allows you to find the least common multiple or least common denominator for two or more numbers.
4. Math Factor: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you'll learn how you can find factors of both numbers and variables. Discover how one number can have many different factors. Learn how you can use factors to your advantage.
5. What Are Odd & Even Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what odd and even numbers are with the help of some visual aids. You'll also learn some interesting properties of odd and even numbers. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
6. Divisibility by 2, 3, and 4
In this video lesson, you will learn what it means to be divisible. Also, you'll see what numbers are divisible by 2, 3, and 4. You will also learn how you can check if something is divisible by these numbers.
7. Divisibility by 5, 6, and 7
In this video lesson, we will see what numbers can be divided equally by 5, 6, and 7. Learn the pattern that you can use to find other numbers divisible by 5, 6 and 7. Learn how you can visualize divisibility.
8. Divisibility by 8, 9, and 10
In this video lesson, we will see what numbers are divisible by 8, 9, and 10. You will learn how you can figure out these numbers yourself. Learn what it means to be divisible.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 (060): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Test
- Understanding Emergent Literacy
- The Reading Process & Comprehension Strategies
- Representations of Information in the Classroom
- Literary Analysis & Genres
- Understanding & Teaching the Writing Process
- Literacy Instruction & Assessment
- Classroom Organization & Grouping
- Communication & Media Literacy
- Social Science Instruction & Comprehension
- Cultural Contributions & Technological Developments in History
- World Civilizations & Historical Timelines
- Age of Exploration, Settlement & Growth
- Florida & U.S. History
- History's Impact on World Institutions
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- Regional Divides & Connections
- Fundamental Government & Civics Concepts
- Fundamental Economics Concepts
- Strategies for Science Instruction
- Tools & Resources for Science Instruction
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- Scientific Data Interpretation & Analysis
- Interdisciplinary Nature of Science
- Basics of Physical Science
- Basics of Earth Science
- Basics of Space Science
- Cells & Organ Systems
- Life Science Classification & Life Cycles
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Basics of Plant Biology
- Mathematics Instructional Practices
- Interpreting Numbers, Data & Expressions
- Properties of Equality & Operations
- Solving Arithmetic & Word Problems
- Fractions, Ratios & Integers
- Measurement, Data & Statistics
- Geometric Concepts
- Studying for FTCE Elementary Education
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Flashcards