About This Chapter
Number Theory & Factoring - Chapter Summary
Follow the lessons in this chapter to develop an understanding of number theory and factoring. These lessons include topics such as:
- Identifying prime and composite numbers
- Finding the prime factorization of a number with or without exponents
- Determining greatest common factors and least common multiples
- Finding factors and multiples of whole numbers
Our knowledgeable instructors will guide you through video lessons, and you can see how far you've gotten in the chapter with your own dashboard. You can also use the dashboard to contact our instructors if you have any questions.
1. Identifying Prime & Composite Numbers
In this video lesson, you will learn how to identify both prime and composite numbers. You will also learn what makes the numbers unique, as well as the characteristics of both these types of numbers.
2. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
3. Finding the Prime Factorization with Exponents
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to factor any number using just prime numbers and exponents. Learn how to break apart any number you are given. Then, test your new knowledge with some examples.
4. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
5. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
6. Using Prime Factorizations to Find the Least Common Multiples
Finding the least common multiple can seem like a lot of work. But we can use prime factorization as a shortcut. Find out how and practice finding least common multiples in this lesson.
7. Word Problems: Greatest Common Factor & Least Common Multiple
In this video lesson, you will learn what kinds of word problems you can expect to see that involve the greatest common factor or the least common multiple. Learn what you need to do to understand these problems and then to solve them.
8. Finding Factors of Whole Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to factor any whole number that you are given. You will learn what factors are and how a whole number can have several different factors.
9. Finding Multiples of Whole Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will become a pro at finding multiples of whole numbers. Learn what they are and how you can visualize the process to make it easier for you.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Middle Level Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Properties of Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Estimating & Rounding
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- Negative Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Absolute Value
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Integers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Rational Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Inequalities
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Introduction to Fractions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Introduction to Decimals
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Percents
- Working with Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- Practical Applications of Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- Introduction to Exponents
- Working with Exponential Expressions
- Understanding Square Roots & Radical Expressions
- Radical Expressions & Equations
- Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Basic Algebraic Expressions & Factoring
- Algebraic Distribution
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Writing & Solving Two-Step Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Linear Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Systems of Linear Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Monomials & Polynomials
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Properties of Functions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Graphing Functions
- Rate of Change Basics
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- 6th-8th Grade Measurement: Units of Measurement
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- Two-Dimensional Shapes
- Circle Geometry
- The Pythagorean Theorem & Trigonometry
- 6th-8th Grade Measurement: Perimeter & Area
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- Congruence & Similarity in Geometry
- 6th-8th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Transformations
- Modeling to Solve Problems
- Basic Probability
- Statistics & Sampling Basics
- MTLE Middle Level Mathematics Flashcards