About This Chapter
Numeration, Number Sense, & Mathematical Operations - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons of this chapter to review number types and mathematical operations. In them, our expert instructors will explain the mathematical properties of numbers in addition to demonstrating how to complete several mathematical operations. After these lessons, you should know more about:
- Different kinds of numbers
- Whole number arithmetic
- Solving addition problems and the commutative property of addition
- Methods of subtraction
- Steps for multiplying large numbers
- Multiplication and the commutative property of multiplication
- Steps in simple division and long division
- The multiplication property of zero and the process of dividing by zero
- Representing numbers and operations with models
These lessons are mobile-device compatible, so you don't have to limit your studies to your time in front of a computer. They also come with a series of transcripts and assessments to help you reinforce your understanding of the material. Read the lesson transcripts to fortify your retention of the information presented in the lesson videos.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
3. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
4. Commutative Property of Addition: Definition & Examples
In this video lesson, we talk about the commutative property of addition and what it means when you are adding numbers together. Learn how it can help you solve addition problems faster.
5. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
6. What is Subtraction in Math? - Definition, Methods & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about subtraction, which is the opposite of addition. We'll learn ways to picture simple subtraction problems, how to calculate the problems that are not so simple, and how to recognize subtraction in everyday situations.
7. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
8. How to Multiply Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson you will be able to multiply any two numbers together. You will learn how to use your knowledge of multiplying smaller numbers together to multiply larger numbers with ease.
9. Commutative Property of Multiplication: Definition & Examples
In this video lesson, we talk about the commutative property of multiplication. We will see how it works in action and what it means for you when you are solving multiplication problems.
10. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
11. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
12. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
13. Dividing By Zero: Definition & Concept
In mathematics, division by zero is undefined. Learn why according to the arithmetic and algebraic definitions of dividing by zero in this lesson. Then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
14. Using Models to Represent Numbers & Operations
In math, models or pictures can be used to represent numbers and operations like addition and subtraction. In this lesson, we'll look at three types of models used to solve problems in math.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Elementary Education (018/019): Practice & Study Guide course
- Language Development & Emergent Literacy
- Teaching Phonics, Word Analysis, Spelling & Fluency
- Reading Comprehension & Vocabulary Skills
- Understanding Literary Texts
- Structure & Literary Devices in Prose
- Informational, Expository & Technical Texts
- Understanding & Teaching Persuasive Texts
- Graphic Communication
- Processes & Modes of Written Communication
- Reference Materials & Proofreading in Writing
- Conventions of Standard American English
- Processes & Conventions of Verbal Communication
- Effective Writing & Speaking
- Basic Concepts of Government & Economics
- Forms & Characteristics of Government
- International Relationships & Foreign Policy
- Principles of U.S. Citizenship
- Functions of Economic Systems & Free Markets
- Characteristics of Ancient Civilizations
- Global Effects of Exploration, Trade & Revolution
- Major U.S. & World Conflicts
- Modern World History
- Historical Analysis of Fact vs. Opinion
- Geography, Physical Sciences & Cultural Anthropology
- Reading & Understanding Maps
- Social Science Research & Experimentation
- Scientific Method, Inquiry & Data Analysis
- Life & Zoological Sciences
- Plants, Biomes & Genetics
- Physical, Earth & Space Sciences
- Components of the Solar System & Universe
- Weather, Climate & Geologic Systems
- Mixed Numbers & Fractions
- Arithmetic & Estimation Using Decimals
- Rounding & Estimating Numbers
- Place Values, Ordering Fractions & Decimals
- Prime Numbers, Composite Numbers & Divisibility Rules
- The Least Common Multiple & Greatest Common Factor
- Ratios, Proportion, Exponents & Scientific Notation
- Mathematical Reasoning for Solving Word Problems
- Tools for Representing Mathematical Concepts
- Calculating & Interpreting Statistical Data
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Properties of Geometric Shapes
- Converting & Graphing Units of Measurement
- Area, Perimeter & Volume of Geometric Shapes
- Health, Fitness & Nutrition
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Elementary Education Flashcards