About This Chapter
Nursing Actions for Renal Problems - Chapter Summary
This chapter closely examines peritoneal dialysis, renal procedures and more to help you better understand nursing actions for renal problems. Ensure you fully comprehend nursing protocols, patient monitoring and patient management for different renal procedures. After completing this chapter, you will have the knowledge to:
- Discuss the indications and patient management of hemodialysis
- Define continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) and discuss its indications and patient management
- Explain the procedure and complications of peritoneal dialysis
- Describe the patient management and indications of peritoneal dialysis
- Detail nursing protocols for electrolyte replacement
- Outline patient management and nursing protocols for renal procedures
Enjoy this chapter's self-paced format, and choose which resources can help you best understand nursing actions for renal problems. This chapter also offers access to subject-matter experts who can answer your questions about specific topics covered in the lessons. Use our short quizzes and practice exam to gauge your comprehension of this chapter. Taking advantage of these resources will strengthen your ability to succeed on your test.
1. Hemodialysis: Indications & Patient Management
In this lesson, we focus on hemodialysis, as well as its comparison to peritoneal dialysis and renal transplant. Types of hemodialysis access, indications for initiating dialysis, and patient management are also discussed.
2. Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy: Indications & Patient Management
Continuous renal replacement therapy is an intervention used in the critical care setting of a hospital. It is a form of dialysis. This lesson will discuss the indications and patient management for continuous renal replacement therapy.
3. What Is Peritoneal Dialysis? - Definition, Procedure & Complications
Peritoneal dialysis is one method used to manually clean the blood after the kidneys fail and can no longer do the job. Read more to learn about the different types of peritoneal dialysis, how it works, and what complications can occur.
4. Peritoneal Dialysis: Indications & Patient Management
In this article you will learn about peritoneal dialysis, indications for treatment, and its management. You will also become familiar with potential complications associated with this modality.
5. Electrolyte Replacement: Indications & Nursing Protocols
Electrolytes are essential for maintaining life. Electrolyte imbalances can result in detrimental complications and should be identified and treated accordingly. In this lesson, we will learn about nursing protocols for electrolyte replacement.
6. Renal Procedures: Nursing Protocols & Patient Management
There are several different types of renal procedures that are done in and out of the hospital setting. This lesson will discuss the nursing protocols and patient management for renal procedures.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing