About This Chapter
Nursing Communication & Patient Rights - Chapter Summary
If you need a complete knowledge of nursing communication and patient rights, you have come to the right place. This chapter covers topics such as how nurses can communicate with other members of the health care team and with patients, as well as types of information technology used by nurses. You'll also look at legal and ethical topics related to patent rights. These short lessons will prepare you to master information in regards to:
- Use of the SBAR model
- Role technology plays in the medical field
- Importance of effective communication
- How client data is recorded and stored
- Major rights patients have
- Information on behavior control, genetics
- How patients determine treatment and their rights to refuse it
- Withholding and withdrawing care
Our instructors teach these lessons in a way that is not only informative, but also easy to understand. If you find yourself struggling to retain the material or you have any questions, the instructors are available to answer questions.
1. SBAR in Nursing Communication: Format & Examples
In this lesson you will learn how nurses can effectively communicate with doctors and other members of the healthcare team about patient problems using the SBAR model.
2. Information Technology & Interdisciplinary Medical Teams
Technology is used in everyday life for many different things. It is also used in healthcare settings. In this lesson, we will learn about how interdisciplinary teams use information technology.
3. Communication Between Patients & Health Care Workers
This lesson will define two types of communication used between patients and health care workers. The differences between therapeutic communication in the patient-health care worker relationship will be examined. Read on for more information.
4. How to Analyze Health Care Records
Analyzing health care records can be a challenging task! This lesson will discuss what health care analysis is, and how to properly perform the analysis of health care records.
5. Ethical Issues & Mental Health: Right to Treatment, Informed Consent & Confidentiality
When someone goes to see a mental health professional, they have legal and ethical rights that are meant to protect them. In this lesson, we'll explore three major rights of patients: confidentiality, the right to treatment, and informed consent.
6. Ethical Issues in Medicine & Psychology
The world of healthcare is full of ethical issues, and they can be difficult to figure out. In this lesson, explore four major ethical issues, and then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
7. Understanding Patient Rights & Treatment Decisions
Sometimes, the world of healthcare can be complicated. Conditions must be cured, and injuries must be healed, but the physician must always respect the right of the patient to make their own treatment decisions. We'll explore that idea in this lesson.
8. Withholding & Withdrawing Care: Autonomy & Surrogate Decision Makers
In this lesson, explore the concepts of withholding and withdrawing care and discover how these are resolved in medical ethics. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- About the NCLEX Tests