About This Chapter
Nursing & Educational Informatics - Chapter Summary
Inside this chapter, you'll find short lessons that examine the fundamentals of nursing and educational informatics. Taught by expert instructors, this chapter explores the history and development of nursing informatics, as well as nursing informatics standards of practice, the applications of educational informatics and the roles of informatics nurses. To help you remember the information, we've included lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. Work through the chapter at your own pace, and use any Internet-connected device to study. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Summarize the history of nursing informatics and the TIGER Initiative Foundation
- Describe the evolution of nursing informatics definitions
- Differentiate between the nursing process and the nursing informatics standards of practice
- Understand informatics nurse roles
- Evaluate the use of educational informatics in the field of nursing
- Explain the purpose of SEEDS and curriculum for electronic healthcare management
1. History of Nursing Informatics
Health informatics is the combined study and application of information technology and healthcare management. Nursing informatics is the further specialization of that field toward nursing. In this lesson, we will discover the history of nursing informatics.
2. Evolution of Definitions for Nursing Informatics
This lesson takes a look at the historical evolution of definitions for nursing informatics. The historical significance of these definitions is that they have helped evolve nursing and healthcare changes. We will look at past and present theories, but also the future of nursing informatics definitions.
3. Nursing Process vs. Nursing Informatics Standards of Practice
Providing nurses with the foundation and tools for taking care of patients is the core of nursing process and nursing informatics process. This lesson will describe how each of these processes works for the nurse and the patients.
4. Roles of Informatics Nurses
Technology improves our lives, and this is also true in the medical world. Informatics nursing is an emerging field that combines several disciplines to improve patient health. This lesson will examine some of the roles of the informatics nurse.
5. Evolution of Nursing Informatics Practice
In response to its growing popularity within the healthcare arena, this lesson looks at nursing informatics. The lesson will analyze evolving roles within the field of nursing informatics, competencies and skills impacting nursing informatics practice, as well as discuss the importance of creating a culture of safety.
6. TIGER Initiative Foundation: History & Purpose
Information technology has infiltrated the field of health care with remarkable speed during recent years. This lesson is about the TIGER (Technology Informatics Guiding Education Reform) initiative and its goals to help healthcare professionals use technology in their daily work.
7. Using Educational Informatics in Nursing
This lesson will evaluate how informatics is used in nursing programs. We will examine how technology can be incorporated into lab situations, provide closer connections between students, administrators, and faculty, and outreach to a broader potential base of students.
8. SEEDS & Curriculum for Electronic Healthcare Management
Electronic health records are the future of healthcare practice, documentation, and management. This lesson will help you understand what SEEDS is and how it works, as well how it is being used in healthcare curriculum.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nursing 301: Nursing Informatics course
- Informatics & Information Systems in Healthcare
- Computer Hardware for Nursing Informatics
- Basic Computer Software for Nursing Informatics
- Online Connectivity & Security for Nursing Informatics
- Data Standards in Healthcare
- Patient-Centered Information Technology
- Informatics Literacy & Challenges in Nursing
- The Future of Nursing Informatics
- Required Assignments for Nursing 301
- Studying for Nursing 301