About This Chapter
Nursing Safety - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Keeping nurses safe while working is a paramount consideration. This chapter explores safety procedures and regulations for institutions as well as the nurses themselves. Each lesson details specific elements of safety in nursing.
In addition to short videos, our lessons contain transcripts and end-of-lesson quizzes that you can use to check your understanding of the chapter's concepts. We also offer you the ability to contact an instructor for any questions on the material that you may have. Our video lessons will educate you on topics such as the following:
- What environmental safety hazards in nursing are
- How technology is used to keep nurses safe
- What factors influence personal safety
- How safety needs in medical settings are assessed
|Influences on a Person's Safety: Individual, Environmental, Socioeconomic & Cultural||Identify factors influencing personal safety.|
|How to Identify Environmental Safety Hazards||Recognize specific safety hazards in the nursing environment.|
|Devices Used in Nursing to Promote Safety||Discover how technology can aid in nursing safety.|
|Nursing Case Study: Safety||Examine a specific case study relating to nursing safety.|
1. Influences on a Person's Safety: Individual, Environmental, Socioeconomic & Cultural
In this lesson, we discuss some of the various factors that influence a person's safety, including individual, environmental, socioeconomic, and cultural factors.
2. How to Identify Physical & Mechanical Hazards
We are going to learn how to identify potential physical and mechanical hazards that exist in the healthcare setting. This lesson presents examples of possible hazards and explains why they may be hazardous.
3. How to Identify Ecological Hazards
This lesson explains the term ecological hazard. Next, we will look at different types of ecological hazards and why they are hazardous. Finally, we will highlight places in healthcare facilities where hazards exist.
4. How to Identify Thermal & Radiation Hazards
This lesson is going to cover the identification of thermal and radiation hazards that may appear in the healthcare environment. We will look at examples of each category of hazard as well.
5. Devices Used in Nursing to Promote Safety
Creating a safe environment that limits the risk of patient falls and injuries is a top priority for anyone in the nursing profession. In this lesson, you'll learn about the use of mobility devices, bed rails, and restraints to promote patient safety.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nursing 101: Fundamentals of Nursing course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Asepsis & Infection Control
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding the Body's Defenses in Nursing
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Mobility & Immobility Issues in Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Understanding Nutrition for Nurses
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing