About This Chapter
Nutrient Cycles in an Ecosystem - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide an overview of nutrient cycles in an ecosystem. You'll find an engaging discussion of key topics like the water cycle and composting. Other lessons give examples of detritivores, decomposters and composting. You'll also look into the debate over biomass as a renewable energy source. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe types of matter and energy changes in an ecosystem
- Discuss the process of the carbon cycle
- Explain the water cycle, including precipitation, condensation, and evaporation
- Understand detritivores, decomposer, and composting
- Explore the pros and cons of biomass for renewable energy
These video lessons are brief and engaging, which assists you with quickly grasping the information presented. Our expert instructors are skilled at providing helpful examples. The video timelines help you navigate the videos and focus on topics that are of greatest interest to you. Each lesson is accompanied by a brief multiple-choice quiz to test your knowledge. Full video transcripts are also available.
1. Types of Matter & Energy Changes in an Ecosystem
Ecosystems are a constant flow of matter and energy from one place to another. In this lesson, we will discuss some of the important energy and matter cycles that take place within and between ecosystems.
2. What Is the Carbon Cycle? - Diagram, Process & Definition
The carbon cycle is the process by which carbon moves from the atmosphere into the Earth and its organisms and then back again. Gain a deeper understanding of how the carbon cycle works in this lesson.
3. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
4. What Are Detritivores? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will investigate detritivores. These organisms play a crucial role in all ecosystems by utilizing their unique diet to clean up decaying organic matter. We will see examples of them and learn of the benefits they provide to the world.
5. What is a Decomposer? - Definition & Examples
Decomposers are an often overlooked part of the natural world, but their job is an important one. Learn what decomposers are, what role they have in the environment and how people use them.
6. What Is Composting? - Definition and Examples
In this lesson, we will explore the unique method of waste disposal where items are encouraged to rot. We will investigate the composting process, the benefits of composting, and examples of different types.
7. Biomass for Renewable Energy: Pros and Cons
Biomass is organic material that can be used to generate heat, electricity, and even fuel. In this lesson, you will learn about the advantages of this abundant and renewable energy source as well as the disadvantages.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GCSE Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Process of Scientific Thinking
- Steps of the Scientific Method
- Analyzing & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Mathematics in Science
- Scientific Vocabulary & Measurement
- Cell Structure & Differentiation
- Understanding Cell Division
- Understanding Cell Transportation
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Structure & Function of the Digestive System
- The Human Circulatory System
- Non-Communicable Diseases Overview
- Communicable Disease Overview
- Disease Defense, Prevention & Treatment
- Plant Tissues & Organs
- Plant Disease & Defenses
- Homeostasis & the Human Body
- Human Nervous System Overview
- Hormones in the Endocrine & Urinary Systems
- Hormones & Reproduction
- Plant Hormones
- Sexual & Asexual Reproduction
- DNA Structure & Genomes
- Genetic Inheritance
- Genetics Disorders
- Genetic Variation & Evolution
- Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- Theories of Biology
- Evidence Supporting Evolution
- Classification of Living Organisms
- Ecology & Biodiversity
- Trophic Levels & Biomass Energy
- Human Impacts on Biodiversity & Ecosystems
- Food Production & Sustainability
- GCSE Biology Flashcards