About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Nutrient Digestion, Absorption & Transport chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Carbohydrate digestion||Chemical digestion, carbohydrate absorption, hydrolysis, monosaccharides, disaccharides, polysaccharides, starch and sugars|
|Tuesday||Digestion of proteins, lipids and fiber||Protein, lipid and fiber absorption, bile salts, gallbladder, emulsification, enterogastrone and lacteals|
|Wednesday||Absorption of nutrients||Absorption of nutrients in the bloodstream and lymphatic system, water, water-soluble vitamins, glycerol, minerals, cholesterol, fat-soluble vitamins, fatty acids and monoglycerides|
|Thursday||Gastrointestinal health||Healthy GI tract, digestive problems, GERD, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation and diarrhea|
|Friday||Transport of nutrients||Transport of lipids and other nutrients through the lymphatic and vascular systems|
1. Absorption of Micronutrients and Water into the Bloodstream
In this lesson, you will gain a deeper understanding of how and where absorption of micronutrients and water take place in your body. You will also learn how and where it enters your bloodstream.
2. Absorption of Nutrients to the Lymphatic System
In the lesson, we will explore the lymphatic system and how it functions. You will learn about the parts of your body that make up your lymphatic system and what nutrients are absorbed there.
3. Carbohydrate Digestion and Absorption: Process & End Products
Carbohydrates that you eat are broken down to monosaccharides by enzymes in your digestive tract. In this lesson, you will learn about these digestive enzymes and how monosaccharides are absorbed out of the digestive tract.
4. Chemical Digestion of Carbohydrates: Definition & Process
Carbohydrates are an important energy source, but must be broken down to be absorbed out of the digestive tract. In this lesson, you will learn how disaccharides and polysaccharides are broken down to monosaccharides through a process called hydrolysis.
5. Gastrointestinal Health & Digestive Problems
In this lesson, you will learn about digestive health, your gastrointestinal tract and what you can do to keep it healthy. You will also learn about symptoms of common digestive problems.
6. How are Nutrients Transported Around the Body?
There are specific steps involved in nutrient transportation to ensure that your body gets what it needs to function properly. This lesson explores how nutrients are transported throughout your body.
7. How Fiber is Digested by the Body
In this lesson, you will learn how and where fiber is digested in your body. You will also gain a clear understanding of the different types of fiber and their potential health benefits.
8. Lipids Digestion and Absorption
Lipids, or fats, are digested and absorbed in the small intestine. In this lesson, you will learn how bile salts emulsify fat so pancreatic lipase can digest it. You will also learn how fats first enter lymphatic capillaries, called lacteals, before entering your blood circulation.
9. Protein Digestion and Absorption Process
Protein is one of the primary nutrients your body uses to build cellular structures. In this lesson, you will learn how protein is broken down into amino acids within your digestive tract and how amino acids are absorbed out of the intestines and into the hepatic portal system.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nutrition 101 Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Nutrition Lesson Plans
- Healthy Diet Planning Lesson Plans
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition Lesson Plans
- Lipids in Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Protein's Role in Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Water as a Nutrient: Lesson Plans
- Minerals in Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity: Lesson Plans
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Gastrointestinal Anatomy and Digestion Lesson Plans
- Biochemistry for Nutrition Lesson Plans
- Cell Anatomy & Metabolism Lesson Plans
- Excretion - Urination & Sweat: Lesson Plans
- Weight Management & Energy Needs: Lesson Plans
- Eating Disorders & Nutrition Risks Lesson Plans
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition: Lesson Plans