About This Chapter
Nutrition Basics for Nurses - Chapter Summary
Whether you are just beginning your study of nutrition basics for nurses or want to refresh your existing understanding, the engaging lessons in this online chapter can help! Top instructors help maximize your comprehension of this subject by analyzing healthy diet planning guidelines, diet adaptations, nutritional disturbances and more. Reviewing these lessons will enable you to:
- Define nutrition and list 6 important nutrients for the body
- Describe the purpose and uses of healthy diet planning guidelines
- List and describe common nutritional disturbances
- Discuss gender, culture and other factors that influence dietary choices
- Exhibit knowledge of different diet adaptations and alternative feeding methods
- Explain how nurses assess patients' nutritional and gastrointestinal status
Feel free to access the lessons in this chapter as short videos that average about 8 minutes each or full transcripts you can read online or print. Before, during or after reviewing your lessons of choice, assess your comprehension by taking their accompanying multiple-choice quizzes. If you hit a snag while studying this chapter or need additional information, be sure to submit your questions to our experts. Before the day of your test, be sure to gauge your comprehension of nutrition basics for nurses by taking the practice chapter exam.
1. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
2. Healthy Diet Planning Guidelines: Nutrients & Food Groups
The USDA and Health and Human Services developed dietary guidelines for Americans that outline diet and lifestyle recommendations. Learn how these guidelines, along with the USDA food guides, can be used to help you develop a healthy eating plan in this video lesson.
3. Common Nutritional Disturbances
There are many situations that can affect a person's nutrition. Learn more about common nutritional disturbances and their effects on the body and test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Factors that Influence Dietary Choices: Gender, Culture & Other Issues
You are a unique person and therefore, the dietary choices you make should be well-suited to who you are and what you do. The factors that influence these choices will be the focus of this lesson.
5. Diet Adaptations & Alternative Feeding Methods
Did you know there are several different diet adaptations and alternative feeding methods? There are just as many reasons people may need to be on them. Learn more about these forms of nutrition, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
6. Nursing Assessment of Nutritional & Gastrointestinal Status
Have you ever wondered how nurses or other health care professionals determine a patient's nutritional and gastrointestinal status? Learn more about obtaining health history and nutritional and gastrointestinal assessments, then try a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Florida Prometric CNA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Role of Nurse Aides
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication in Nursing
- Safety for Nurses
- Basic Hygiene for Nurses
- Asepsis & Infection Control in Nursing
- Patient Injuries & Infections
- Emergency Situations in Nursing
- Emergency Care & Procedures
- Personal Care in Nursing
- Circulation & Skin Integrity Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Fluid & Electrolyte Balance in Nursing
- Understanding Rest & Sleep in Nursing
- Elimination Overview for Nurses
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Psychosocial Concerns in Nursing
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Physical Impairments
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management in Nursing
- Mental Health Concepts
- The Aging Process
- End of Life Care