About This Chapter
Nutrition Essentials for Nursing - Chapter Summary
Nurses help patients maintain their health in a variety of ways, one of which is through nutrition. The lessons in this chapter teach the essentials of nutrition to ensure you fully understand ways nurses contribute to the creation and maintenance of a healthy diet for patients during care. Access these lessons anytime from your computer or mobile devices to absorb these concepts at your own pace. When finished, you will be prepared to:
- Describe the food pyramid and healthy diet planning guidelines
- Define calories and discuss their purpose
- List and describe common nutritional disturbances
- Explain why diet adaptations and alternative feeding methods are sometimes necessary
- Discuss ways to assess nutritional and gastrointestinal status
- Showcase your understanding of nursing and nutrition via a case study
Review the video lessons in this chapter to learn about nutrition essentials for nursing with help from fun visual and audio effects. Scroll below the videos to access timelines designed to help you skip to key topics within the lessons without watching them in full. Below the timelines are full transcripts of the lessons that feature helpful vocabulary words. With each lesson is a short quiz you can take to assess your understanding of concepts covered.
1. Healthy Diet Planning Guidelines: Nutrients & Food Groups
The USDA and Health and Human Services developed dietary guidelines for Americans that outline diet and lifestyle recommendations. Learn how these guidelines, along with the USDA food guides, can be used to help you develop a healthy eating plan in this video lesson.
2. Calories: Definition, Purpose & Total Count
A calorie is a unit of measurement used to express energy. There are three nutrients that provide the body with calories: carbohydrates, proteins and fats. Learn about these macronutrients and recommendations for total energy intake: EER and AMDRs.
3. Common Nutritional Disturbances
There are many situations that can affect a person's nutrition. Learn more about common nutritional disturbances and their effects on the body and test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Diet Adaptations & Alternative Feeding Methods
Did you know there are several different diet adaptations and alternative feeding methods? There are just as many reasons people may need to be on them. Learn more about these forms of nutrition, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Nursing Assessment of Nutritional & Gastrointestinal Status
Have you ever wondered how nurses or other health care professionals determine a patient's nutritional and gastrointestinal status? Learn more about obtaining health history and nutritional and gastrointestinal assessments, then try a quiz.
6. Nursing Case Study on Nutrition
This case study will help you, as the student, apply the nursing process to a patient and family who requires nutrition education in order to heal properly from a wound and help reduce health risk factors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards