About This Chapter
Nutrition, Exercise and Personal Care - Chapter Summary
What is a balanced diet? Why is it important to get vitamins and proteins in your diet? Why is exercise helpful? These are the kinds of questions you can expect to have answered in the video and text lessons in this chapter. From brushing your teeth to ensuring you're getting the right nutrients, this chapter covers everything you need to know for good health. Once you have completed your review of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- List the six nutrients a body needs
- Explain what a balanced diet consists of
- Name different types of carbohydrates and describe how the body breaks them down
- Relate the importance and sources of vitamins and proteins
- Point out different types of fat and explain how much a person should eat
- Discuss types of exercise and the importance of physical activity
- Detail personal and dental hygiene tips
Information is taught through simple and engaging video and text lessons, and instructors can be contacted with any lesson-specific questions. Access these short lessons on any device, at any time, so studying can fit your busy schedule. Brief quizzes are great tools you can use to check how much you understand as you move from one lesson to the next.
1. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
2. Balanced Diet: Lesson for Kids
Everyone knows that they're supposed to eat well, but what exactly does that mean? In the following lesson, learn why you should follow a balanced diet, what exactly to eat, and what to do if you overdo it with some cheesy fries!
3. Carbohydrates Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Carbohydrates are your body's main source of energy. In this lesson, you will learn about how carbohydrates get broken down and the two different types of carbohydrates.
4. How to Test for Starch: Lesson for Kids
How do you know what's in certain foods, especially if they don't have a nutrition label? In this lesson, learn a simple, but effective experiment that will allow you to know if a certain food contains starch.
5. Proteins Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
In this lesson, you will learn about the nutrient protein. You will explore where it comes from, and how important it is to your body's health and strength. Read on to discover fun and interesting facts about protein.
6. Vitamins We Need: Their Importance & Sources
There are a lot of different vitamins, and they come from many different places! This lesson will teach you about what they are, how many different kinds you need, what they do, and where you can obtain them naturally.
7. Recommended Dietary Intakes of Lipids
Fats add a lot to the enjoyment of your daily diet, but too much of the wrong fats can lead to health problems. In this lesson, learn about the different types of fats that you consume throughout your day and the recommended amounts you should eat.
8. Exercise Lesson for Kids: Importance & Benefits
Exercise is very important for your health, but it doesn't always mean you have to hit the gym! Exercise can include a lot of activities you do every day. Learn more about why exercise is so important, at any age.
9. Personal Hygiene Lesson for Kids: Facts & Tips
Wash your hands. Brush your teeth. Wear clean clothes. These aren't just instructions from your parents to give you a hard time; they're actually important ways to maintain your personal hygiene. Let's get ready to learn all about personal hygiene.
10. Dental Hygiene Lesson for Kids: Facts & Tips
Who doesn't love having a smile that they are proud to wear? Well, dental hygiene is a big part of that! Come and learn why dental hygiene is important, as well as some dental hygiene tips.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Living Things in Their Environment
- Lifecycles & Ecosystems
- Overview of Plant Structure & Development
- Human & Animal Body Systems & Development
- Human Health Hazards
- Adaptation & Reproduction of Living Things
- Evolution & Inheritance
- Rocks & Soil Basics
- Basics of Light
- Forces & Magnets
- States of Matter Basics
- Sound & Hearing Basics
- Electricity Basics
- Properties of Materials
- Chemical Changes in Materials
- Overview of Earth & Space
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Science Flashcards