About This Chapter
Nutrition & Health For Children - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers health and nutrition as it relates to children and adolescents. You'll become familiar with the nutrients the human body needs to function properly and you'll learn how these nutritional needs change based on a child's age. You'll be introduced to common childhood health problems and learn how to deal with them. The chapter also discusses strategies for maintaining a healthy weight and explores the factors that contribute to childhood obesity.
After watching the videos in this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define nutrition and understand what nutrients are needed to regulate bodily processes
- Examine early childhood health issues
- Learn about the nutritional needs of children and adolescents
- Recognize nutrients that support physical activity
- Study body fat and name the factors that contribute to childhood obesity
- Explain strategies to help adults maintain a healthy weight and make positive nutritional choices
Our video lessons are presented in a concise and engaging style, which makes the learning process fun and simple. The video lesson also come with additional features to enhance the learning experience, such as multiple-choice quizzes and lesson transcripts. These lessons are all taught by professional instructors and you can track your progress through the chapter on your course Dashboard.
1. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
2. Nutrition, Health, and Safety in Early Childhood
As children grow and develop, so do threats to their health. From nutrition and childhood obesity to accidents, this lesson will explore the issues that face children in early childhood and what parents can do to deal with them.
3. Children's Nutritional Needs
In this lesson, you will learn about the nutritional needs for preschoolers and school age children. You will gain an understanding of recommended caloric requirements and food choices.
4. Nutrition During Adolescence
In this lesson, you will learn about nutritional needs during adolescence and how they differ from younger children's needs. You will also gain an understanding of nutrition-related concerns for adolescents, as well as specific dietary recommendations.
5. Nutrients to Support Physical Activity
It is important to stay well-nourished with carbohydrates, protein, fats and various vitamins and minerals during physical activity. Learn about these nutrients that support physical activity as well as the benefits of water during active times.
6. Making Healthy Nutritional Choices: Habits, Behaviors & Resources
This lesson will help you see how easy it is to track what you eat and change your diet for the better. It will also provide you with additional information on where a wealth of information on healthy nutrition can be found.
7. Factors of Childhood Obesity & the Benefits of a Balanced Diet
Childhood obesity is a complex problem that is influenced by environmental, behavioral and genetic factors. These factors lead to increased calorie intake and decreased physical activity. Learn about these factors and the benefits of a balanced diet in this lesson.
8. Determining Body Fat Content: Reliable Options & Optimal Weight
Many measurements and tests exist to determine your approximate body fat percentage and whether or not your body composition is of healthy proportions. Some of the well-known techniques are going to be the topic of discussion in this lesson.
9. Maintaining a Healthy Weight: Strategies, Methods & Effectiveness
Three major but important strategies can help you maintain a healthy weight. Throughout this lesson, we'll take a look at exercise, diet, and (believe it or not) sleep as important strategies for achieving this goal.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Physical Education EC-12 (158): Practice & Study Guide course
- Motor Skill Development in Children
- Biomechanical Principles
- Sports & Recreational Activities
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Individual, Dual & Team Sports Skills
- Individual, Dual & Team Sports & Games
- Physical Activity, Exercise & Fitness
- Cardiovascular Fitness
- Muscular Strength & Flexibility in Fitness
- Health & Wellness in Childhood & Adolescence
- Instructional Pedagogy
- Role of Physical Education in Student Learning
- Physical Education Teacher Planning & Instruction
- Positive Physical Education Learning Environments
- Physical Education Program Goals & Administration
- Effective Communication in Physical Education Classrooms
- Student Assessment Types
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Using Technology in Physical Education
- Professional Development for Physical Education Teachers
- Laws & Legislation Affecting Physical Education
- Safety & First Aid for the Physical Education Classroom
- TExES Physical Education EC-12 Flashcards