About This Chapter
Nutritional Balance - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons deal with weight management, including the risks of obesity and how to control weight. You'll also review information on why a healthy diet is important in childhood and how the body uses micronutrients and water. After watching these videos, you should better understand:
- Obesity and other weight problems
- Strategies for maintaining a healthy weight
- Childhood obesity
- How micronutrients and water are absorbed in the bloodstream
- Transportation of nutrients in the body
These lively lessons are taught by experts who use humor and plenty of examples to get their points across. Every video is followed by a short self-assessment quiz, and the chapter ends with a more comprehensive exam. You can use the links in the clickable Timeline to quickly jump to specific parts of the lesson for review.
1. The Issue of Weight Management: Obesity, Risks & Weight Problems
Being overweight or obese are two conditions that have similarities in the problems they may cause, but they aren't precisely the same. This lesson will point out the differences and the unfortunate similarities between the two.
2. Maintaining a Healthy Weight: Strategies, Methods & Effectiveness
Three major but important strategies can help you maintain a healthy weight. Throughout this lesson, we'll take a look at exercise, diet, and (believe it or not) sleep as important strategies for achieving this goal.
3. Factors of Childhood Obesity & the Benefits of a Balanced Diet
Childhood obesity is a complex problem that is influenced by environmental, behavioral and genetic factors. These factors lead to increased calorie intake and decreased physical activity. Learn about these factors and the benefits of a balanced diet in this lesson.
4. Absorption of Micronutrients and Water into the Bloodstream
In this lesson, you will gain a deeper understanding of how and where absorption of micronutrients and water take place in your body. You will also learn how and where it enters your bloodstream.
5. How are Nutrients Transported Around the Body?
There are specific steps involved in nutrient transportation to ensure that your body gets what it needs to function properly. This lesson explores how nutrients are transported throughout your body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST Health/Fitness (029): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Overview of the Human Body
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Functional Properties of Nutrients
- Nutrients and the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- The Risk of Eating Disorders to Nutrition
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Enhancing Social Health
- Social Systems & Communication
- Family Structures & Issues
- Prejudice, Aggression & Conflict
- Factors Influencing Health
- Illnesses and Diseases
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Screening
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Influences in Sexual Relationships
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Making Decisions in Health Care
- Health Protection Laws and Programs
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Injury Prevention and Safety Strategies
- Emergency Care
- Principles of Motor Development, Learning & Control
- Gross Anatomy & Functions of the Muscular System
- Elements of Human Growth & Energy
- Principles of Rhythmic Activities
- Principles of Gymnastic Activities
- Principles of Individual & Outdoor Activities
- Effective Teaching Strategies
- Approaches to Instruction
- Principles of Dual & Team Sports
- Principles of Cooperative & Group Games
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue
- Understanding & Assessing Fitness
- Principles & Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Promoting Health & Fitness Components
- Developing Physical Fitness Plans
- Impact of Physical Activity on Personal & Social Behaviors
- Teaching Techniques for Health Educators
- Managing & Coping with Stress
- Careers in Health & Fitness
- WEST Health/Fitness Flashcards