About This Chapter
Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions - Chapter Summary
How do eating disorders affect nutritional intake and overall health? How do nutritional deficiencies occur? What effects do addictions have on diet? These are some of the main questions you'll explore when you use this chapter. You'll also study the causes and effects of an imbalanced diet. Once you complete your review of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Provide information on imbalanced diets
- Define and give examples of nutrient deficiencies
- Compare body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders
- Discuss binge eating disorder and obesity
- List causes of eating disorders
- Detail types and warning signs of addictive behaviors
- Explain how addiction affects diet and wellness
These short lessons can be viewed on any device at all times, and they offer a well-rounded overview of each topic. Access the lessons as often as needed to ensure you fully understand this material, and feel free to contact the instructors if you have any questions regarding a lesson topic. Take the self-assessment quizzes to determine if you have successfully mastered lesson concepts as you move through the chapter.
1. Imbalanced Diet: Effects & Causes
This lesson discusses an imbalanced diet. You'll learn the nutrients that may be in excess or in deficiency, what the causes of an imbalanced diet may be, and the potential consequences of an imbalanced diet.
2. Nutrient Deficiencies: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will explain what nutrient deficiencies are, and how deficiencies of certain vitamins and minerals occur. Next, we will review what problems are associated with these deficiencies.
3. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
4. What is Anorexia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores what anorexia nervosa is and why it is so dangerous. It covers common symptoms seen in children who may develop anorexia as well as what anorexia will do to those who suffer from it.
5. What is Bulimia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores bulimia as well as challenges many common misconceptions of bulimia. Specifically, this lesson describes the diagnostic requirements, the subtypes, and the treatments known to help with bulimia.
6. Binge Eating Disorder and Obesity: Definition, Discussion and Treatment
Binge-eating disorders are difficult to confront, but can be relatively easy to treat. This lesson explores some of the causes and issues related to binge-eating disorder, as well as to obesity in general.
7. What Causes Eating Disorders? - Risk Factors and Cultural Perspectives
This lesson takes a broad look at the causes of eating disorders. In addition, this lesson looks at what causes individuals to face higher or lower incidence rates of eating disorders.
8. Addiction and Addictive Behaviors: Types & Warning Signs
This lesson will define addiction and addictive behavior in addition to taking a look at what addictive behaviors have in common and what things to look out for in a potential addict.
9. How Addiction Impacts Diet & Wellness
This lesson is going to go over some of the ways by which addiction impacts a person's diet and general wellness. We'll cover how alcohol abuse, smoking, and illicit drug abuse are involved in this.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards