About This Chapter
Nutritional Health & Diet Planning - Chapter Summary
This chapter takes an in-depth look at the nutritional choices we make, why we make them and how they impact our health. In the videos, our instructors discuss how and why we experience hunger, how we interpret those signals and how we satisfy them. You will be able to investigate the components of a nutritionally sound food plan, review how to get the most information from a food label and go over how to use calorie counting to meet nutritional needs. The lessons provide the following information and more:
- Definition and explanation of nutrition
- Impact of diet and exercise on health and wellness
- Interpreting food labels and identifying nutritional needs
- Designing a healthy diet and eating plan; role of calories
- Hunger and factors that influence what we eat
- Typical American diet; making sound nutritional choices
- Going meatless: vegetarian and vegan diets
This comprehensive refresher course was designed with busy people in mind. Our lessons last no more than ten minutes, and by using the timeline feature, you can skip from part to part with the ease of a simple drag-and-drop. Our lesson quizzes and chapter tests offer a handy retention check, and the embedded links in the quizzes can take you back to specific points in the video to refresh your memory or check an answer.
1. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
2. How Diet and Exercise Affect Health and Chronic Conditions
Here we will discuss how the elements of diet and exercise can reduce the risk or the severity of a chronic condition or disease. We look specifically at diet and how it can be great, good, okay or terrible. Exercise can be excessive, incorrect, correct or absent.
3. How to Read Food Labels: Understanding Claims & Components
The nutritional facts label provides information about the nutrient content of a food item. Learn about the components found on the label, as well as additional nutrient content claims and health claims that food manufacturers can add to packaging in this lesson.
4. Factors That Affect Dietary Habits & Nutritional Status
Do you know why you eat what you eat? Can you name the factors that have led you to like what you like? This lesson outlines many of the factors that affect our dietary habits and, in some cases, our nutritional status.
5. Healthy Diet Planning Guidelines: Nutrients & Food Groups
The USDA and Health and Human Services developed dietary guidelines for Americans that outline diet and lifestyle recommendations. Learn how these guidelines, along with the USDA food guides, can be used to help you develop a healthy eating plan in this video lesson.
6. How to Create a Healthy Eating Plan
Would you like to know what goes into creating a healthy eating plan? Learn how to evaluate your current food intake, find your nutritional needs, choose the right foods and assess your progress to create a plan that meets your nutritional needs.
7. What Drives Us to Eat? - Influence of Hunger & Appetite
Appetite and hunger involve the interaction of your brain and hormones, and they are further influenced by external cues. Learn about the role the hypothalamus, vagus nerve, leptin, ghrelin and neuropeptide Y play in driving your desire to eat.
8. Factors that Influence Dietary Choices: Gender, Culture & Other Issues
You are a unique person and therefore, the dietary choices you make should be well-suited to who you are and what you do. The factors that influence these choices will be the focus of this lesson.
9. The American Diet: Characteristics, Food Habits & Guidelines
The American diet is characterized by a calorie imbalance, a high consumption of nutrient-poor foods and a low consumption of nutrient-dense foods. Learn about the food habits of Americans and the dietary guidelines designed to improve your health in this video lesson.
10. Determining Your Nutritional Needs
This lesson will teach you about important terms involved in determining your nutritional needs, as well as about a tool that can help you use the latest nutritional science to figure these things out.
11. Calories: Definition, Purpose & Total Count
A calorie is a unit of measurement used to express energy. There are three nutrients that provide the body with calories: carbohydrates, proteins and fats. Learn about these macronutrients and recommendations for total energy intake: EER and AMDRs.
12. Making Healthy Nutritional Choices: Habits, Behaviors & Resources
This lesson will help you see how easy it is to track what you eat and change your diet for the better. It will also provide you with additional information on where a wealth of information on healthy nutrition can be found.
13. Vegetarian & Vegan Diets: Health Benefits & Lifestyle Effects
A vegan diet is a diet made up of only plant-based foods while a vegetarian diet may allow limited animal products. Learn about the health benefits and lifestyle effects of these diets, including a reduced risk of obesity and chronic diseases.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Infant Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Growth & Development in Adulthood
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Health of the Aging Population
- Dying and Bereavement in Older Adults
- Understanding the Disease Process
- Pathogens & the Immune System
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Weight Management & Energy Needs
- Understanding Dental Health
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Effects of Sleep on Health
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Making Health Decisions
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Managing Family & Peer Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Community & Public Health
- Child Abuse & Abduction
- Sexual Harassment & Violence
- Environmental Risk Analysis
- Environmental Pollution & Health Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- PLACE Health Flashcards