About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other NY Regents integrated algebra prep work.
- Identify the algebraic expressions and equations concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our NY Regents integrated algebra tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about algebraic expressions and earn passing scores on the NY Regents Exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to define, translate, write and solve algebraic expressions and equations, or any other algebraic expressions and equations topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves struggling to prepare for the NY Regents integrated algebra test
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the integrated algebra NY Regents test
- Don't have access to integrated algebra study materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about algebraic expressions and equations simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live algebra tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about algebraic expressions and equations on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
- Evaluate simple algebraic expressions.
- Be able to combine like terms in algebraic expressions.
- Simplify algebraic expressions.
- Understand how to simplify algebraic expressions that contain negative signs.
- Write open sentences and true/false statements that have inequalities.
- Discuss common types of algebraic equations.
- Define, translate and solve one-step equations.
- Solve equations that use the addition and/or multiplication principle.
- Collect like terms on one side of an equation.
- Explain how to solve equations that contain parentheses.
- Translate words into algebraic expressions.
- Understand how to solve one-step algebraic equations that are presented as word problems.
- Learn how to solve equations that have multiple steps.
- Solve multi-step algebraic equations that are presented as word problems.
1. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
2. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
3. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
4. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
5. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
6. Writing Equations with Inequalities: Open Sentences and True/False Statements
After watching this video lesson you will be able to write open sentences and true or false statements that use inequalities. You will also be able to solve and/or determine whether a particular inequality is true or false.
7. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
8. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
9. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
10. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
11. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
12. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
13. Solving Equations Containing Parentheses
When we have parentheses in our equations it changes the way we solve them. Now we have an added step to do to remove those parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how it is done.
14. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
15. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
16. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
17. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NY Regents Exam - Integrated Algebra: Tutoring Solution course
- NY Regents - Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Problems with Decimals and Fractions: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Problems with Percents: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Problems with Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Problems with Exponential Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Problems with Radical Expressions & Equations: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Distributing Terms in Algebra: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Matrices and Absolute Value: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Overview of Functions: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Factoring with Variables: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Quadratics & Polynomials: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Graphing Functions: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Calculations with Ratios, Percent & Proportions: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Sets: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Probability and Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Probability Mechanics: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Working with Data: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Well-Known Equations: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Intro to Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Measurement for Algebra Students: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Geometry for Algebra Students: Tutoring Solution