About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other geometry work.
- Identify the polygon concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our NY Regents Geometry Exam Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about similar polygons for the NY Regents Exam and earn passing scores. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding proportions, similar triangles, the Pythagorean Theorem or any other similar polygons topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their similar polygons unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in geometry for the NY Regents Exam
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about similar polygons simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live geometry tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about similar polygons for the NY Regents Exam on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss proportion, ratio and geometric mean.
- Solve problems that involve proportion.
- Provide examples of similar polygons.
- Understand the AA criterion for similar triangles.
- Become familiar with the transitive property of similar triangles.
- Take a look at the triangle proportionality theorem.
- Be able to construct similar polygons.
- List the properties of right triangles.
- Learn the applications of the Pythagorean theorem.
- Examine converse and special cases of the Pythagorean theorem.
1. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
2. Geometric Mean: Definition and Formula
Watch this video lesson to learn how different the geometric mean is from the arithmetic mean, or average, that we are all so familiar with. Learn in what circumstance the geometric mean is preferred. Also, learn the formula and how to use it.
3. Angle Bisector Theorem: Definition and Example
Watch this video lesson and learn how you can use the angle bisector theorem to help you find the lengths of missing sides. Also learn how you can identify an angle bisector just by looking at the lengths of the sides of a triangle.
4. Solving Problems Involving Proportions: Definition and Examples
Learn how you can use proportions to find missing sides and how to increase or decrease the sizes of objects to create models of them in this video lesson.
5. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
6. The Transitive Property of Similar Triangles
Watch this video lesson and you will understand what the transitive property is and how it applies to similar triangles. Watch as we apply the transitive property to three similar triangles.
7. Triangle Proportionality Theorem
Watch this video lesson to learn all about the triangle proportionality theorem and how you can use this interesting theorem to help you solve problems. Learn how a parallel line can create sides that are proportional to each other.
8. Constructing Similar Polygons
This lesson will teach you how to construct similar polygons, which are very useful in many quantitative fields. You'll learn that all of this has something to do with, of all things, snowflakes!
9. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
10. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
11. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NY Regents Exam - Geometry: Tutoring Solution course
- NY Regents - Foundations of Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Logic in Mathematics: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Introduction to Geometric Figures: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Quadrilaterals: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Circular Arcs and Circles: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Analytical Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Triangles and Congruency: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Parallel Lines and Polygons: Tutoring Solution
- NY Regents - Geometric Solids: Tutoring Solution