About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Age of Nationalism material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the Age of Nationalism. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the unification of Germany or Italy and the Age of Nationalism
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning history (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about the Age of Nationalism
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra history learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Age of Nationalism chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Age of Nationalism chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about the Age of Nationalism. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an Age of Nationalism unit of a standard global history and geography course. Topics covered include:
- The Crimean War
- The establishment of a dual monarchy in Austria-Hungary
- Russian reforms
- The American Civil War and Dominion of Canada
- The opening of trade with Japan
1. The Crimean War: Summary, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we explore the Crimean War of 1854-1856 between Russia and the Ottoman Empire, France, and Great Britain. It is often considered one of the more bungled military campaigns in recent Western history.
2. The Unification of Italy: Summary, Timeline & Leaders
In this lesson, we explore the piecemeal unification of Italy which took place in the 19th century. Created in part by the brilliant statesmen Camillo Benso di Cavour, Italy as we know it did not fully take shape until 1870.
3. The Unification of Germany: Summary, Timeline & Events
In this lesson, we explore the unification of Germany in the 1860s and 1870s, largely accomplished through the statecraft of the Chancellor of Prussia and later Germany, Otto von Bismarck.
4. Creation of the Dual Monarchy of Austria-Hungary: History & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the 19th-century compromise between the Austrian monarchy and the ruling Magyar families of Hungary that created the dual monarchy of Austria-Hungary.
5. Reforms in Russia Under Tsar Alexander II: Examples & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the reforms of Tsar Alexander II in 19th-century Russia. Alexander freed the Russian serfs and accelerated the industrialization of Russia before his 1881 assassination.
6. North America: the American Civil War and Dominion of Canada
In this lesson, we explore the American Civil War's effects on European geopolitics and the remotely connected creation of the Dominion of Canada only a few years after the war's close.
7. The Westernization of Japan During the Meiji Era
In this lesson, we explore the opening of Japan to Western trade by Commodore Matthew Perry in the mid-18th century. We'll then look at the ensuing westernization of the country in the Meiji period.
8. Crop Lien: System & Definition
The crop-lien system drew a majority of small farmers in the post-Civil War South into a cycle of dependency and agricultural poverty. Learn about this system and its socio-economic outcomes in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NY Regents Exam - Global History and Geography: Help and Review course
- NY Regents - Major Belief Systems of the World: Help and Review
- NY Regents - Prehistory: Help and Review
- NY Regents - History of the Ancient Near East: Help and Review
- NY Regents - History of Ancient Greece: Help and Review
- NY Regents - Hellenism and the Athenian Achievement: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The Rise of the Roman Republic: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The Fall of the Roman Empire: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The Dark Ages: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The Early Middle Ages: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The Medieval Warm Period: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The High Middle Ages: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The Late Middle Ages: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The Renaissance: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The Age of Exploration: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The Reformation: Help and Review
- NY Regents - The Elizabethan Era: Help and Review
- NY Regents - Colonialism: Help and Review
- Constitutionalism and Absolutism: Help and Review
- Eastern European Power Shifts (1648-1740): Help & Review
- 18th Century Empire and Expansion: Help and Review
- The Enlightenment & Scientific Revolution: Regents Help & Review
- The French Revolution & Napoleon: Help & Review
- NY Regents - Industrialization (1700-1900): Help and Review
- NY Regents - Political Developments (1760-1848): Help and Review
- NY Regents - World War I (1914-1919): Help and Review
- NY Regents - Between the World Wars (1919-1939): Help and Review
- NY Regents - World War II (1939-1945): Help and Review
- NY Regents - Influence of Globalization: Help and Review