About This Chapter
NYSTCE Biology - Plant Reproduction and Growth - Chapter Summary
Check your prior knowledge of plant reproduction and growth and test your comprehension of plant reproductive and life cycles with these engaging lessons. They emphasize the alternating life cycles of plants while defining terms such as phototropism, geotropism, rhizomes and stolons. After your review has refreshed your memory, you can address relevant material on the NYSTCE Biology examination. These online tutorial lessons could assist you with:
- Understanding tropism as well as the growth cycles of perennial, biennial and annual plants
- Discussing the implications of photoperiodicity
- Exploring angiosperm, gymnosperm, fern and moss life cycles
- Explaining the alternation of generations and asexual plant reproductive processes
Absorb the information in these educational videos, which outline the topics above as well as other subjects. Study them in anticipation of passing the NYSTCE Biology examination. Self-paced and instructor-delivered, the video lessons include written transcripts along with video tags for navigating the lessons. Ask questions of the instructors and take the short multiple-choice quizzes that test your understanding.
NYSTCE Biology: Plant Reproduction and Growth Chapter Objectives
Subarea IV of the NYSTCE Biology examination includes material on plant adaptations, characteristics and functions. You may be faced with questions pertaining to plant and leaf structures and evolution as you seek a biology teaching certification in New York State. The fourth subarea of the examination accounts for 12% of the score. The paper-based examination consists of 90 multiple-choice questions and one constructed-response assignment. You'll have up to four hours for completion.
1. A Review of Plant Life Cycles & Alternation of Generations
Plants have a unique system of passing on genetic information. In this lesson we are going to check out the alternation of generations used by plants to keep their gene pools strong.
2. Asexual Plant Reproduction: Vegetative Propagation and Bulbs
Not all plants make attractive flowers in order to reproduce. Some plants will not make seeds and pollen either. These plants have other ways to create new offspring. We will look at a few key methods of vegetative propagation.
3. Tropisms: Phototropic, Geotropic and Thigmotropic Plant Growth
Animals aren't the only things that can respond to the environment. While plants may seem inanimate at times, they, too, can respond to the environment in order to better survive.
4. How Daily & Seasonal Cycles Affect Plants
Plants live on a planet with days and seasons, and that affects their behavior. Learn about the daily and seasonal cycles of plants, and see how much you've learned with a quiz.
5. Plant Hormones: Chemical Control of Growth and Reproduction
We most often think of hormones as things that control our actions and development. However, even plants have these chemicals to help regulate growth and reproduction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Biology (006): Practice and Study Guide course
- NYSTCE Biology: Scientific Inquiry
- NYSTCE Biology: Research Methods
- NYSTCE Biology: Measurement & Observation
- NYSTCE Biology: Laboratory Basics
- NYSTCE Biology: Cell Biology
- NYSTCE Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- NYSTCE Biology: Cell Communication
- NYSTCE Biology: Inorganic Chemistry
- NYSTCE Biology: Organic Compounds
- NYSTCE Biology: Nucleic Acids
- NYSTCE Biology: Enzymes
- NYSTCE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- NYSTCE Biology: Plant Cells
- NYSTCE Biology: DNA Replication
- NYSTCE Biology: Transcription & Translation Process
- NYSTCE Biology: Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- NYSTCE Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- NYSTCE Biology: Classical, Molecular & Population Genetics
- NYSTCE Biology: Genetic Mutations
- NYSTCE Biology: The Origin of Life on Earth
- NYSTCE Biology: Evolution
- NYSTCE Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- NYSTCE Biology: Plant Biology
- NYSTCE Biology: Animals & Evolution
- NYSTCE Biology: Social Behavior of Animals
- NYSTCE Biology: Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory & Musculoskeletal Systems
- NYSTCE Biology: Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- NYSTCE Biology: Reproduction & Development
- NYSTCE Biology: Human Reproductive Systems
- NYSTCE Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- NYSTCE Biology Flashcards