About This Chapter
NYSTCE Chemistry: Physical & Chemical Properties - Chapter Summary
Going through each lesson, you will pick up useful skills for solving chemical property questions. The following topics will be covered in this chapter:
- Chemical and physical properties of matter
- Chemical vs. physical changes to matter
- States of matter
Thanks to these lessons in this chapter, you will be better familiar with different physical and chemical properties. Completing the quizzes allows you to see if you are ready for the real exam.
NYSTCE Chemistry: Physical & Chemical Properties Chapter Objectives
Taking and passing the NYSTCE Chemistry exam gives you the chance to earn a certification to teach in New York State. There are different chemistry topics on this exam, which contains multiple-choice questions. The subject matter within this chapter is part of the subarea 2 section, which makes up 16% of the entire test. In order to do well on this portion of the test, you will need to remember important details about matter. Retaining this information is possible if you go through each lesson more than once and then check your knowledge using the quizzes.
1. Matter: Physical and Chemical Properties
How are substances identified? There are two major ways we can describe a substance: physical properties and chemical properties. Learn about how chemists use properties to classify matter as either a mixture or a pure substance.
2. States of Matter and Chemical Versus Physical Changes to Matter
The world around us is constantly changing. Chemists put those changes into two main categories: physical changes and chemical changes. This lesson will define and provide examples of each.
3. Chromatography, Distillation and Filtration: Methods of Separating Mixtures
What are some ways that mixtures can be separated? Watch this video to explore several examples of ways you can separate a mixture into its individual components.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Chemistry (007): Practice and Study Guide course
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Foundations of Scientific Inquiry
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Atomic Structure & Quantum Theory
- NYSTCE Chemistry: The Periodic Table
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Gases
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Nuclear Transformation
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Principles of Calorimetry
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Chemical Bonds
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Chemical Reactions
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Chemical Equilibrium
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Acid-Base Chemistry
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Stoichiometry
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Solutions & Solubility
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Nuclear Reactions
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Chemicals & the Environment
- NYSTCE Chemistry Flashcards