About This Chapter
NYSTCE CQST: Addition & Subtraction - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons explore addition and subtraction, including arithmetic with whole numbers, commutative property of addition, and methods of subtraction. Writing and solving word problems, and personalizing a word problem to increase understanding are also discussed. After completing this chapter, you should better understand:
- How to perform addition
- Commutative property of addition
- How to perform subtraction
- Writing and solving addition and subtraction word problems
- Personalizing a word problem to increase understanding
Our lessons generally are no more than 10 minutes in length, and you can watch them in any order. The interactive timeline feature offers a way to quickly jump to specific topics you need to review. Short lesson quizzes and a chapter exam let you assess your learning and practice answering questions in the format you'll face on exam day.
1. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
2. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
3. Commutative Property of Addition: Definition & Examples
In this video lesson, we talk about the commutative property of addition and what it means when you are adding numbers together. Learn how it can help you solve addition problems faster.
4. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
5. What is Subtraction in Math? - Definition, Methods & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about subtraction, which is the opposite of addition. We'll learn ways to picture simple subtraction problems, how to calculate the problems that are not so simple, and how to recognize subtraction in everyday situations.
6. Writing & Solving Addition Word Problems with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to write and solve addition word problems. Learn how to read your word problem, write out the algebraic equation, and then solve it for the unknown variable.
7. Writing & Solving Subtraction Word Problems with One Variable
You will be able to solve subtraction word problems after watching this video lesson. Learn how to take your word problem from words into an algebraic expression that you can solve.
8. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Communication & Quantitative Skills Test (080): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE CQST: Vocabulary
- NYSTCE CQST: Reading Passages
- NYSTCE CQST: Sequence of Ideas in Reading
- NYSTCE CQST: Interpreting Textual & Graphic Information
- NYSTCE CQST: Verbs, Pronouns & Modifiers
- NYSTCE CQST: Sentence Structure, Punctuation & Spelling
- NYSTCE CQST: Place Value & Rounding
- NYSTCE CQST: Weights & Measures
- NYSTCE CQST: Multiplication & Division
- NYSTCE CQST: Fractions
- NYSTCE CQST: Decimals
- NYSTCE CQST: Percents & Conversions
- NYSTCE Communication & Quantitative Skills Flashcards