About This Chapter
NYSTCE CQST: Decimals - Chapter Summary
Review and learn new concepts about how to understand and work with decimals in this chapter. It contains lessons that cover the following topics in preparation for the NYSTCE CQST exam:
- Using zeros in decimals
- Comparing different decimals
- Rounding decimals
- Definition and examples of equivalent decimals
- Multiplying and dividing decimals
- Using decimal numbers to solve problems
Our video lessons are short, averaging between five and ten minutes long, and are available anywhere you have Internet access, so you can get in a few minutes of study as your schedule allows. You can check your understanding along the way by utilizing lesson quizzes. They will help you determine if you are ready for the actual exam and show you where additional review is needed.
1. How Zeros Are Used in Decimals
Zero is a very small but also very important digit. Watch this lesson and learn how it is used in decimal numbers to keep place and for accuracy purposes.
2. Arithmetic with Decimal Numbers
Watch this video lesson and see how our little professor goes about adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimal numbers all without the use of a calculator!
3. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
4. How to Round Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any decimal number and round it any which way you want. Learn the tipping point that determines whether to go up to the next number or not.
5. What Are Equivalent Decimals? - Definition & Examples
Equivalent decimals may look different, but in reality they are just a fancy way of naming the same amount! In this lesson, you will explore equivalent decimals and learn easy tricks to help you master the tools needed to identify and write these equal forms.
6. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
7. Multiplying Decimals: Rules, Steps & Examples
Do you know how to multiply numbers with more than one digit but when it's a decimal you forget what to do with the decimal point? This lesson teaches you the steps for multiplying decimals. Then see those steps in action through the use of examples.
8. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
9. Dividing Decimals: Steps, Rules & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some division terminology. Then, you'll learn the steps for decimal division and see them carried out in a few examples. Afterward, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
10. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
11. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Communication & Quantitative Skills Test (080): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE CQST: Vocabulary
- NYSTCE CQST: Reading Passages
- NYSTCE CQST: Sequence of Ideas in Reading
- NYSTCE CQST: Interpreting Textual & Graphic Information
- NYSTCE CQST: Verbs, Pronouns & Modifiers
- NYSTCE CQST: Sentence Structure, Punctuation & Spelling
- NYSTCE CQST: Place Value & Rounding
- NYSTCE CQST: Weights & Measures
- NYSTCE CQST: Addition & Subtraction
- NYSTCE CQST: Multiplication & Division
- NYSTCE CQST: Fractions
- NYSTCE CQST: Percents & Conversions
- NYSTCE Communication & Quantitative Skills Flashcards