About This Chapter
NYSTCE CQST: Fractions- Chapter Summary
Review information about fractions and the concepts behind fractions that you will need to know to successfully answer NYSTE CQST exam questions. Our instructors will teach you topics such as:
- Types of fractions
- Equivalent fraction
- Building and reducing fractions
- Adding and subtracting fractions
- Multiplying and dividing fractions
- Estimations using fractions
- Word problems with fractions
This chapter contains video lessons and quizzes that can be accessed numerous times. This allows you to study at a pace that is comfortable for your learning type and study techniques. The self-checking quizzes offered after every lesson are useful because they not only test your knowledge of the lessons, but are in the format you'll encounter on the test.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
3. What are Equivalent Fractions? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some fraction terminology and then learn what equivalent fractions are. Afterward, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
4. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
5. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
6. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
7. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
8. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
9. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
10. How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve word problems with fractions in them easily by turning your fractions into whole numbers. Learn what you need to do to get rid of your fractions so you can easily solve your problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Communication & Quantitative Skills Test (080): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE CQST: Vocabulary
- NYSTCE CQST: Reading Passages
- NYSTCE CQST: Sequence of Ideas in Reading
- NYSTCE CQST: Interpreting Textual & Graphic Information
- NYSTCE CQST: Verbs, Pronouns & Modifiers
- NYSTCE CQST: Sentence Structure, Punctuation & Spelling
- NYSTCE CQST: Place Value & Rounding
- NYSTCE CQST: Weights & Measures
- NYSTCE CQST: Addition & Subtraction
- NYSTCE CQST: Multiplication & Division
- NYSTCE CQST: Decimals
- NYSTCE CQST: Percents & Conversions
- NYSTCE Communication & Quantitative Skills Flashcards