About This Chapter
NYSTCE CQST: Multiplication & Division - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides instruction on the fundamentals of multiplication and division. As you get ready to take the NYSTCE CQST exam, you can strengthen your ability to solve these kinds of math problems. The video lessons focus on:
- How to multiply, including large numbers
- Commutative property of multiplication
- The multiplication property of zero
- Division, including long division of large numbers
- Dividing a number by zero
- Writing division and multiplication word problems that have one variable
Expert instructors use short, engaging video lessons to walk you through each subject. Use self-assessment quizzes to test your understanding, or print them as worksheets to help you study. The jump feature under the Timeline tab allows you to skip directly to main subjects within video lessons. Visit your dashboard to track your progress through the course.
1. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
2. How to Multiply Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson you will be able to multiply any two numbers together. You will learn how to use your knowledge of multiplying smaller numbers together to multiply larger numbers with ease.
3. Commutative Property of Multiplication: Definition & Examples
In this video lesson, we talk about the commutative property of multiplication. We will see how it works in action and what it means for you when you are solving multiplication problems.
4. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
5. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
6. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
7. Dividing By Zero: Definition & Concept
In mathematics, division by zero is undefined. Learn why according to the arithmetic and algebraic definitions of dividing by zero in this lesson, and then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
8. Writing & Solving Multiplication Word Problems with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to take a multiplication word problem and translate it into an algebraic expression that you can solve. You will also learn how to solve these problems from the expressions that you write.
9. Writing & Solving Division Word Problems with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to solve word problems that involve the division operator. Learn how to write your math problem using an algebraic expression and then solve it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Communication & Quantitative Skills Test (080): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE CQST: Vocabulary
- NYSTCE CQST: Reading Passages
- NYSTCE CQST: Sequence of Ideas in Reading
- NYSTCE CQST: Interpreting Textual & Graphic Information
- NYSTCE CQST: Verbs, Pronouns & Modifiers
- NYSTCE CQST: Sentence Structure, Punctuation & Spelling
- NYSTCE CQST: Place Value & Rounding
- NYSTCE CQST: Weights & Measures
- NYSTCE CQST: Addition & Subtraction
- NYSTCE CQST: Fractions
- NYSTCE CQST: Decimals
- NYSTCE CQST: Percents & Conversions
- NYSTCE Communication & Quantitative Skills Flashcards