About This Chapter
NYSTCE Mathematics: Absolute Value Expressions - Chapter Summary
This chapter reviews absolute value and its role in various mathematical operations, touching on all the subject-related topics you'll want to know going into the NYSTCE Mathematics exam. By the end of this chapter, you'll have bolstered your understanding of:
- Defining absolute value
- Evaluating absolute value expressions and solving absolute value equations
- Graphing and transforming an absolute value
- Dilations and reflections in absolute value graphing
- Finding the absolute value of a real number
After each lesson, you'll be able to check your understanding of the content with a practice quiz that you can take and re-take at your discretion. These helpful quizzes provide links back to the topic in question should you answer incorrectly, but if you find you're still unsure, you can always ask our instructors questions using the teacher or help tab.
1. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
2. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
3. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
4. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
5. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
6. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
7. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Mathematics (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Factoring & Divisibility
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Exponents
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Patterns & Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Understanding Algebraic Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Solving Algebraic Equations
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Linear Equations
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Exponential Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Trigonometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Applications of Trigonometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Calculus Concepts
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Calculus Applications
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Symmetry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Geometric Construction
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Geometric Shapes
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Triangle Proofs & Theorems
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Transformations in Geometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Counting Strategies
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Probability
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Data Analysis & Statistics
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Sampling & Prediction
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Regression & Correlation
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- NYSTCE Mathematics Flashcards