About This Chapter
NYSTCE Mathematics: Exponential Expressions - Chapter Summary
This chapter examines the function of exponential expressions within various mathematical operations, aiming to arm you with an enhanced understanding of the material going into the test. By the end of this chapter, you can expect to be better prepared for questions concerning:
- Simplifying expressions with exponents
- Simplifying and solving exponential expressions
- Exponential expressions and the order of operations
- Multiplying and dividing exponential expressions
- Simplifying expressions with rational exponents
- Power of powers
Using the dashboard feature, you'll be able to see the progress you're making through the chapter and get a quick glance at all of your studying activity. While there, you can also find links to quizzes relevant to your studying that can also be printed as worksheets and used for further offline review.
1. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
2. Simplifying and Solving Exponential Expressions
What do we do with an exponent? In this lesson, we'll learn how to simplify and solve expressions containing exponents. We'll solve a variety of types of exponential expressions.
3. Exponential Expressions & The Order of Operations
When performing mathematical operations, there is a specific order in which the operations should be performed. This includes when to simplify the exponents. This lesson will describe in what order exponents should be solved as you are performing mathematical operations.
4. Multiplying Exponential Expressions
There are certain rules that govern working with exponential expressions. This lesson deals with the rule for multiplying exponential expressions. It will describe the rule and give some examples of how it works.
5. Dividing Exponential Expressions
Any time you work with expressions that contain exponents, you have to follow a specific set of rules that are not the same as when you are working with expressions that do not contain exponents. This lesson will describe the rules associated with dividing terms that contain exponents.
6. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
7. Power of Powers: Simplifying Exponential Expressions
Mathematics is a very logical science. There is a rule for everything and not many exceptions to those rules. Working with exponents is no different. This lesson will describe the rule for raising a power to a power and also will give some examples in how to solve them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Mathematics (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Factoring & Divisibility
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Exponents
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Patterns & Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Understanding Algebraic Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Solving Algebraic Equations
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Linear Equations
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Absolute Value Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Trigonometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Applications of Trigonometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Calculus Concepts
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Calculus Applications
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Symmetry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Geometric Construction
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Geometric Shapes
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Triangle Proofs & Theorems
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Transformations in Geometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Counting Strategies
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Probability
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Data Analysis & Statistics
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Sampling & Prediction
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Regression & Correlation
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- NYSTCE Mathematics Flashcards