About This Chapter
NYSTCE Mathematics: Transformations in Geometry - Chapter Summary
The lessons put together in this chapter are designed to help you review details about transformations as you prepare for the NSTCE Mathematics exam. Some topics that will be addressed include:
- Definition and graphs of transformations
- Examples and definition of translation
- Rotations and dilation in math
- Reflections and glide reflection
- Frieze patterns and tessellation
- Definition and description of fractals
Looking through the lessons is fun because they feature a video format. There are even video tags included, which allow you to quickly navigate through sections of the lessons. You can also utilize our transcripts, which have highlighted key terms and concepts. Improving your understanding of transformations is made easy thanks to these resources.
1. Transformations in Math: Definition & Graph
In geometry, transformation refers to the movement of objects in the coordinate plane. This lesson will define and give examples of each of the four common transformations and end with a quiz to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
2. What is Translation in Math? - Definition, Examples, & Terms
In mathematics, translation refers to moving an object without changing it in any other way. This lesson will describe how to translate an object and give some examples. A quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
3. Dilation in Math: Definition & Meaning
Dilations are transformations that change figures in specific ways. Learn about these changes and how to complete dilations here. Then test your understanding with a quiz.
4. Rotations in Math: Definition & Overview
A geometric rotation refers to the rotating of a figure around a center of rotation. This lesson will get you going on rotations, give you some examples, and end with a quiz that tests your knowledge of rotations.
5. What is Rotational Symmetry? - Definition & Examples
If you have ever tried to hang a picture and not been able to tell which end was up, then your picture might have had rotational symmetry. Rotational symmetry is the characteristic that makes an object look the same even after you've rotated it.
6. Reflections in Math: Definition & Overview
A reflection of an object is a 'flip' of that object across a line. This lesson will describe the basics of reflection, how to recognize one and how to create one.
7. Glide Reflection in Geometry: Definition & Example
In this lesson, we will look at transformations of geometric figures and concentrate on one type of transformation in particular: a glide reflection. Through a definition and examples, we will become comfortable with this type of transformation.
8. Tessellation: Definition & Examples
In this lesson you will learn what a tessellation is and how to determine whether or not a pattern is a tessellation. After looking at some examples, you can take a brief quiz to see what you learned.
9. What are Frieze Patterns?
In this lesson, we will discuss frieze patterns and how they are employed in the real world. We will break down the seven types of frieze patterns and practice identifying them.
10. Fractals in Math: Definition & Description
After watching this video lesson, you will know what the defining characteristic of a fractal is. You will see a fractal both in numbers and in an image.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Mathematics (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Factoring & Divisibility
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Exponents
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Patterns & Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Understanding Algebraic Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Solving Algebraic Equations
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Linear Equations
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Exponential Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Absolute Value Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Trigonometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Applications of Trigonometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Calculus Concepts
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Calculus Applications
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Symmetry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Geometric Construction
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Geometric Shapes
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Triangle Proofs & Theorems
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Counting Strategies
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Probability
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Data Analysis & Statistics
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Sampling & Prediction
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Regression & Correlation
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- NYSTCE Mathematics Flashcards