About This Chapter
OAE Biology: Disorders & Diseases of the Body Systems - Chapter Summary
There are several disorders and diseases that can impact the human body, and sometimes they can be difficult to keep straight. To make the process of distinguishing endocrine diseases from reproductive disorders easier, try out these short, simple video lessons prior to taking the OAE Biology exam. They will ready you to:
- Identify types of nervous system and gastrointestinal diseases and disorders
- Discuss reproductive diseases and disorders for men and women
- Distinguish between types of disorders and diseases that affect blood and urinary systems.
- Understand the causes and effects of heart conditions
- Categorize obstructive, restrictive & infective respiratory diseases
- List the effects of hormones on endocrine disorders
- Classify different immune system diseases
Each video lesson was put together by our trained instructors to help you learn at your own pace. Before sitting down for the OAE Biology exam, get a feel for the types of questions you'll encounter by trying out our self-assessments.
OAE Biology: Disorders & Diseases of the Body Systems Chapter Objectives
Teaching candidates must pass the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) for each subject they wish to teach in Ohio schools. Instructors teaching life sciences to students in grades 7-12 must pass the OAE Biology exam. You must earn a minimum score of 220 on a scale of 100 to 300. Scores are not adjusted against the performance of other test-takers. Questions on these exams are derived from a set of standards for entry-level teachers as determined by the state of Ohio.
The exam is divided into five domains, one of which is Genetics and Evolution. This study guide will help prepare you to answer questions about genetic disorders and diseases that will come up in this domain, which accounts for twenty-seven percent of the exam. You must answer the exam's 150 questions in under three hours. This is a computer-based test that features only stand-alone multiple-choice questions.
1. Major Types of Nervous System Diseases
Your nervous system is responsible for more than you probably realize. In this lesson we're going to discuss some of the major diseases that arise from nervous system abnormalities and dysfunctions.
2. Major Types of Gastrointestinal Diseases & Disorders
Your GI tract plays a vital role in the absorption of nutrients from the food you eat. There are lots of processes involved along the way, and sometimes they just don't work the way they are supposed to, which can lead to some serious problems for you!
3. Female Reproductive Diseases & Disorders
The female reproductive system can be complicated, and as you can imagine, many things can go wrong. Learn about some of the more common disorders of the female reproductive system in this lesson.
4. Male Reproductive Diseases & Disorders
There is a variety of different reproductive diseases and disorders that can affect men. This lesson describe the basics of four of them: BPH, prostate cancer, hypogonadism, and cryptorchidism.
5. Major Types of Urinary System Diseases & Disorders
Your urinary system is an important system in your body. Among other jobs, it is tasked with removing waste and helping to maintain your fluid balance. So when things go awry, it can have serious impacts on your health.
6. Blood Disorders: Major Types
Normally, you don't think too much about your blood, right? This lesson will change all of that and will focus on some of the blood disorders people suffer from.
7. Types of Heart Conditions and Diseases
Your heart muscle receives a rich blood supply from the coronary arteries. If the coronary arteries become blocked, it can result in coronary heart disease, angina, heart attack or congestive heart failure. Learn how these conditions get started.
8. Important Respiratory Diseases: Obstructive, Restrictive & Infective
This lesson will discuss the different categories of respiratory diseases, including infectious, obstructive, and restrictive. Examples of each category will also be discussed.
9. Common Endocrine Diseases, Related Hormones & Their Effects
This lesson discusses seven endocrine diseases as well as the hormones involved. Specifically, we explore diabetes mellitus, Addison's disease, Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism.
10. Immune Diseases: Major Types
Your immune system is designed to protect you from foreign invaders. But sometimes the immune system is weakened or overactive, leading to a wide range of problems in the body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Biology (007): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Biology: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE - Biology: Scientific Processes
- OAE - Biology: Analysis & Interpretation of Data
- OAE - Biology: Using Laboratory Equipment
- OAE - Biology: History & Issues in Science
- OAE - Biology: Introduction to Inorganic Chemistry
- OAE - Biology: Inorganic Chemistry Foundations
- OAE - Biology: Biochemistry
- OAE - Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- OAE - Biology: Cell Biology & Cell Cycle
- OAE - Biology: Plant Cells
- OAE - Biology: Cell Division
- OAE - Biology: Protein Synthesis
- OAE - Biology: DNA & RNA
- OAE - Biology: Basic Genetics
- OAE - Biology: History of Life
- OAE - Biology: Taxonomic Systems
- OAE - Biology: Theory of Evolution
- OAE - Biology: Speciation & Genetic Variability
- OAE - Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- OAE - Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Biology: Animal Reproduction & Development
- OAE - Biology: Homeostasis of Organisms
- OAE - Biology: Male Reproductive System
- OAE - Biology: Female Reproductive System
- OAE - Biology: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory & Musculoskeletal Systems
- OAE - Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- OAE - Biology: Introduction to Disease
- OAE - Biology: Populations & Communities
- OAE - Biology: Ecosystems & Biomes
- OAE - Biology: Biochemical Cycles
- OAE - Biology: Effects of Human Activity on the Biosphere
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Biology Flashcards