About This Chapter
OAE Biology: Ecosystems and Biomes - Chapter Summary
Get ready for the Biology OAE exam. These video lessons will take you from the desert to the coral reef as you learn about ecosystems and biomes in a simple, exciting way. You'll be introduced to key terms and scientific laws relating to the many ecosystems on Earth. After studying this guide, you will be prepared to:
- Chart the levels of ecology and different ecosystems
- Explain how organisms fulfill ecological niches in ecosystems and habitats
- List the characteristics of many biomes, such as rainforests and tundra
- Describe the open ocean biome and its many ecosystems
- Define primary productivity and chart it in different biomes
- Illustrate the effects of food chains, trophic levels and energy flow on an ecosystem
Our world-class instructors have organized all the information you'll need to pass the Biology OAE in these enjoyable video guides. Follow along with the transcripts as you travel through our planet's many biomes, and then, when you think you've got it all straight, test your knowledge with our self-assessments.
OAE Biology: Ecosystems and Biomes Chapter Objectives
For teaching candidates in Ohio, the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) is a requirement for licensure. Current teachers whose licenses are set to expire must also take the OAE. Teachers need only pass the OAE related to the concentration they wish to teach. Life sciences teachers (grades 7-12) must score a 220 on a scale of 100 to 300 on the Biology OAE exam if they wish to teach.
The Biology OAE exam consists of five domains, each focused on a different topic in biology. The Ecology and Environment domain, which covers 20% of the 150 questions on the test, includes questions about ecosystems and biomes. You will have three hours to complete the Biology OAE exam. Each multiple-choice question is stand-alone and derived from a set of standards determined by the state of Ohio.
1. The Environment, Levels of Ecology and Ecosystems
Do you know the difference between an environment and an ecosystem? In this lesson, you'll find out what makes an environment, and what makes an ecosystem. You'll also learn what ecology is and some of the ways that scientists study ecology using organisms, populations, communities, ecosystems and even the entire biosphere.
2. Ecosystems, Habitats and Ecological Niches
Check out this video lesson to understand the many complex aspects of an ecosystem. See how animals live in habitats and survive amongst their surroundings.
3. Biomes: Desert, Tropical Rainforest, Savanna, Coral Reefs & More
Take a trip around the world and learn all about different biomes. Why can you only find certain plants and animals in specific places? What are the most fertile climates on Earth? Watch on to answer these and other questions.
4. Biomes: Tundra, Taiga, Temperate Grassland, and Coastlines
Take a trip with us in this lesson, starting in the Pacific Ocean, traveling across California through the Central Valley and up to the peaks of the Sierra Nevada mountains. We'll learn how oceans, elevation, and people can determine which types of biomes are found in different areas and check out the Earth's most massive and oldest organisms.
5. Open Ocean Biome: Plants, Animals, Climate & Definition
Seventy-one percent of the surface of our planet is covered by the oceans. It should be no surprise that the open ocean biome is the largest biome on Earth. In this lesson, we will investigate the properties and inhabitants of the open ocean biome.
6. Primary Productivity of Biomes
Imagine a desert, a rainforest, and a lake. All of these areas are similar in that there are plants growing in them. These areas all vary because the amount of plant production is different based on the type of habitat. This lesson will explore the concept of primary productivity and how it varies by biomes. It will also discuss the most productive biomes and the biomes that produce the least biomass.
7. Food Chains, Trophic Levels and Energy Flow in an Ecosystem
In this lesson, you'll learn about food chains, food webs, and the different roles that organisms play in an ecosystem. You'll also learn about how energy flows through an ecosystem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Biology (007): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Biology: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE - Biology: Scientific Processes
- OAE - Biology: Analysis & Interpretation of Data
- OAE - Biology: Using Laboratory Equipment
- OAE - Biology: History & Issues in Science
- OAE - Biology: Introduction to Inorganic Chemistry
- OAE - Biology: Inorganic Chemistry Foundations
- OAE - Biology: Biochemistry
- OAE - Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- OAE - Biology: Cell Biology & Cell Cycle
- OAE - Biology: Plant Cells
- OAE - Biology: Cell Division
- OAE - Biology: Protein Synthesis
- OAE - Biology: DNA & RNA
- OAE - Biology: Basic Genetics
- OAE - Biology: History of Life
- OAE - Biology: Taxonomic Systems
- OAE - Biology: Theory of Evolution
- OAE - Biology: Speciation & Genetic Variability
- OAE - Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- OAE - Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Biology: Animal Reproduction & Development
- OAE - Biology: Homeostasis of Organisms
- OAE - Biology: Male Reproductive System
- OAE - Biology: Female Reproductive System
- OAE - Biology: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory & Musculoskeletal Systems
- OAE - Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- OAE - Biology: Introduction to Disease
- OAE - Biology: Disorders & Diseases of the Body Systems
- OAE - Biology: Populations & Communities
- OAE - Biology: Biochemical Cycles
- OAE - Biology: Effects of Human Activity on the Biosphere
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Biology Flashcards