About This Chapter
OAE - Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses - Chapter Summary
Reacquaint yourself with protists, viruses, and fungi with these handy lessons in order to study for the OAE Biology exam. You'll become familiar with the characteristics and evolutionary histories of different organisms. After immersing yourself in these lessons, you'll be ready to:
- Track the evolutionary progression of prokaryotes from archaebacteria to eubacteria
- Discuss the importance of the development of protists over time
- Identify characteristics of plants and fungi throughout their existence
- Classify and define different viruses
- Describe the life cycles of certain viruses
Access the lessons wherever you want, on any Internet-accessible device. Each has been designed with you in mind to make relearning key biology information fun and easy.
OAE Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses - Chapter Objectives
The Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Biology exam includes five subareas, each covering different subject matter. One section, focused on biological unity and diversity, incorporates questions about viruses, protists, and fungi. Twenty percent of the questions on the exam appear in this domain. The OAE Biology exam uses 150 multiple-choice questions and lasts for three hours. Educators hoping to teach life sciences will need to pass the OAE Biology exam.
1. The Evolution of Prokaryotes: Archaebacteria and Eubacteria
The first living organisms on Earth were bacteria. These small organisms still exist today and are responsible for many things. In this lesson, we will explore both ancient bacteria and true bacteria.
2. The Evolution of Protists: Importance & Evolutionary History
Some organisms are very familiar. However, there are some that play vital roles in our lives that we don't even think about. We will look at a group of one of these unfamiliar kingdoms - protists.
3. The Evolution of Plants and Fungi: Characteristics & Evolutionary History
In early classification systems, plants and fungi were grouped together. While there are some similarities between these two kingdoms, there are some key differences that we will explore.
4. Viruses: Definition, Classification & Life Cycle
From the common cold to HIV, viruses can be an annoyance, and even have the potential to kill you. This lesson will define what a virus is, describe how scientists classify them and will give an overview of the virus life cycle.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Biology (007): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Biology: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE - Biology: Scientific Processes
- OAE - Biology: Analysis & Interpretation of Data
- OAE - Biology: Using Laboratory Equipment
- OAE - Biology: History & Issues in Science
- OAE - Biology: Introduction to Inorganic Chemistry
- OAE - Biology: Inorganic Chemistry Foundations
- OAE - Biology: Biochemistry
- OAE - Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- OAE - Biology: Cell Biology & Cell Cycle
- OAE - Biology: Plant Cells
- OAE - Biology: Cell Division
- OAE - Biology: Protein Synthesis
- OAE - Biology: DNA & RNA
- OAE - Biology: Basic Genetics
- OAE - Biology: History of Life
- OAE - Biology: Taxonomic Systems
- OAE - Biology: Theory of Evolution
- OAE - Biology: Speciation & Genetic Variability
- OAE - Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Biology: Animal Reproduction & Development
- OAE - Biology: Homeostasis of Organisms
- OAE - Biology: Male Reproductive System
- OAE - Biology: Female Reproductive System
- OAE - Biology: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory & Musculoskeletal Systems
- OAE - Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- OAE - Biology: Introduction to Disease
- OAE - Biology: Disorders & Diseases of the Body Systems
- OAE - Biology: Populations & Communities
- OAE - Biology: Ecosystems & Biomes
- OAE - Biology: Biochemical Cycles
- OAE - Biology: Effects of Human Activity on the Biosphere
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Biology Flashcards