About This Chapter
OAE - Biology: Scientific Processes - Chapter Summary
This chapter prepares you for questions on the OAE Biology exam about scientific processes, presentations, and data representations. After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Comprehend several different types of laboratory measurements
- Convert between units of measurement
- Utilize dimensional analysis in order to solve problems
- Differentiate between textual and non-textual scientific presentations
- Interpret scientific charts, tables, and graphs
Our fun, information-packed video lessons have been organized by our expert instructors to make retaining key information easier than ever. Follow along with the lesson transcripts, which include key terms in bold print for rapid identification. Then, see how you stack up on assessment quizzes that include questions similar to those you'll encounter on the OAE Biology exam.
OAE- Biology: Scientific Processes - Chapter Objectives
The Biology Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) is made up of five content domains, including one on the nature of science. Questions focused on scientific processes will be featured in this section. Twenty percent of the questions on the Biology OAE reside in this domain. The exam is made up of 150 multiple-choice questions that you will have three hours to answer. Questions are drawn from a criterion in alignment with the Ohio's New Learning Standards. A passing grade of 220 on a scale of 100-300 on an OAE is a requirement for teaching licensure in this field.
1. Understanding Laboratory Measurements: Units & Types
There are many different units that can be used for measurements. This may not only lead to incorrect data measurements, but also to confusion about which units are most appropriate. Therefore, a standard set of units is used for each type of measurement in the biology lab.
2. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
3. Understanding Textual & Non-Textual Scientific Presentations
In order to understand science, you have to know science. This knowledge includes understanding the various ways that scientific information may be presented as well as how to critically analyze that information.
4. How to Read Scientific Graphs & Charts
How do scientists summarize their findings with visual aids? In this lesson, explore the different types of tables, charts and graphs that scientists use. Learn to read these effectively as a preview to your science studies.
5. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
6. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Biology (007): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE - Biology: Scientific Inquiry
- OAE - Biology: Analysis & Interpretation of Data
- OAE - Biology: Using Laboratory Equipment
- OAE - Biology: History & Issues in Science
- OAE - Biology: Introduction to Inorganic Chemistry
- OAE - Biology: Inorganic Chemistry Foundations
- OAE - Biology: Biochemistry
- OAE - Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- OAE - Biology: Cell Biology & Cell Cycle
- OAE - Biology: Plant Cells
- OAE - Biology: Cell Division
- OAE - Biology: Protein Synthesis
- OAE - Biology: DNA & RNA
- OAE - Biology: Basic Genetics
- OAE - Biology: History of Life
- OAE - Biology: Taxonomic Systems
- OAE - Biology: Theory of Evolution
- OAE - Biology: Speciation & Genetic Variability
- OAE - Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- OAE - Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- OAE - Biology: Animal Reproduction & Development
- OAE - Biology: Homeostasis of Organisms
- OAE - Biology: Male Reproductive System
- OAE - Biology: Female Reproductive System
- OAE - Biology: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory & Musculoskeletal Systems
- OAE - Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- OAE - Biology: Introduction to Disease
- OAE - Biology: Disorders & Diseases of the Body Systems
- OAE - Biology: Populations & Communities
- OAE - Biology: Ecosystems & Biomes
- OAE - Biology: Biochemical Cycles
- OAE - Biology: Effects of Human Activity on the Biosphere
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Biology Flashcards