About This Chapter
OAE: Business Technology - Chapter Summary
Review the components of computer and telecommunication systems along with the uses of personal, workgroup and enterprise software applications. This chapter's video lessons are designed to get you ready for OAE Marketing test questions on the following topics:
- Computer system components
- Telecommunication system components and hardware
- Operating systems hardware, software and functions
- Types of application software
- Office suite applications
- Presentation software and graphic suites
- Spreadsheet, database and workgroup application software
- Internet connectivity and the Web
- Computer networks types
- Wireless communication
Access this chapter's resources on your home computer or mobile device. Short videos, around five minutes each, and self-checking quizzes make it easy to fit in some study time wherever you have Internet access.
OAE: Business Technology Objectives
Before you can qualify for a marketing career and technical education teaching license in Ohio, you must earn passing scores on the OAE Marketing exam, which includes 100 multiple-choice questions.
Lessons in this chapter can help you review topics covered in the Employment, Communication and Problem-Solving Skills content domain. This section may include questions on computer hardware and software characteristics, the functions of desktop publishing applications and the components of telecommunication systems. The questions in this content domain account for around 25% of the test.
1. Computer System Components: Computer Parts & Functions
Are you ready to buy a computer? Let's take a trip through the components of a computer for some advice. We'll learn about the motherboard, memory, storage, connectivity and peripherals.
2. The Components of a Telecommunications System
Telecommunication is communication at a distance using electrical signals or electromagnetic waves. Learn about the components and properties of telecommunication systems.
3. Telecommunications Hardware: Routers, Modems, Switches, Bridges, and Gateways
Building a computer network requires specialized hardware. Learn about transmission media and the variety of hardware devices needed for a computer network.
4. Computer Operating Systems: Managing Hardware and Software Resources
This lesson will introduce you to computer operating systems and help you figure out the difference between application and operating system software. Also, we will learn the difference between a desktop and wallpaper.
5. OS Functions: Security, System Management, Communication and Hardware & Software Services
The operating system (or OS ) is the brain of a computer and manages its functions, including systems management/monitoring, communication/networking services management, security services management, and hardware/software services management.
6. Application Software for Personal, Enterprise & Workgroup Objectives
Application software is a computer program to carry out a specific task. Learn about the different types of applications at the individual, workgroup and enterprise level.
7. Microsoft Office and Open Office: Office Suite Applications
Office suite software is a collection of commonly used applications. It typically includes word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software. Learn how these applications work together to increase productivity in this video lesson.
8. Presentation Software & Graphic Suites: Purpose & Examples
To make an impact on your audience, you not only need a strong message, you also need strong visuals. Learn how presentation and illustration software helps you make an impact when showing your work.
9. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
10. Workgroup Application Software for Business Teams
Many activities in organizations are carried out by workgroups. Learn about specialized workgroup software that makes it easier for members to communicate and collaborate more effectively in this video lesson.
11. World Wide Web: How the Web Works
In this lesson, an overview of the World Wide Web is discussed, including its development and operation. The various technologies that enable the Web to work are also described. Topics include Web browsers, hypertext markup language, hypertext transfer protocol, hyperlink and FTP.
12. Internet Connectivity and Communication Standards
This lesson explores the network protocols that aid in data communication. It also discusses networking standards (formal and de facto) and introduces some of the organizations that are involved in establishing these networking standards.
13. Computer Networks and Distributed Processing: PAN, LAN, WAN, MAN
Computer networks can vary in size from a handful of devices within a single room to millions of devices spread across the entire globe. Learn about the different types of networks.
14. Communication & Wireless Computing Devices: GPS, PDA, Cellular & Satellite
A large number of different devices use wireless communications networks. Learn about the different types of devices and which communication signals they use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Marketing (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE: Principles of Marketing
- OAE: Market Research
- OAE: Marketing Strategy
- OAE: Market Segmentation
- OAE: Product Planning in Marketing
- OAE: Pricing Strategies in Marketing
- OAE: Marketing Channels & Distribution
- OAE: Marketing for Consumer Decision Making
- OAE: Sales Strategy in Marketing
- OAE: Marketing & Promotions
- OAE: Promotional Design in Marketing
- OAE: Merchandising & Inventory in Marketing
- OAE: Macroeconomics & Marketing
- OAE: Microeconomics & Marketing
- OAE: Business Organization
- OAE: Entrepreneurship
- OAE: Finance & Credit
- OAE: Human Resources Management
- OAE: Human Resources & Staffing
- OAE: Business Law for Marketing
- OAE: Business Communication
- OAE: Business Math
- OAE: Information Systems
- OAE: Management & Leadership
- OAE: Marketing Education
- OAE: Marketing Careers
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Marketing Flashcards