About This Chapter
OAE Chemistry: Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry - Chapter Summary
Follow along as our subject experts lead you through lessons on the activity series, electrochemical cells, oxidation numbers, half-cell reactions and more. All the lessons in this chapter are designed to help you prepare to answer questions on the OAE Chemistry exam, including:
- Process used to assign oxidation numbers to elements
- Methods for balancing redox reactions
- Identification of oxidizing and reducing agents
- Predictions of products of single displacement reactions
Our lessons are short, each lasts about 5-6 minutes, so your study time can be squeezed in to your schedule when you have time. Can't commit to a full review of this topic? In this chapter, you can pick out just the lessons you need a refresher on for the exam and watch those. You can also watch these videos on the go, using your smartphone or tablet.
Objectives of the OAE Chemistry: Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry Chapter
Ohio requires aspiring chemistry teachers to take the OAE subject exam in chemistry as part of the licensing process. The exam has five domains that cover all the essential chemistry topics you'll be teaching in the classroom. Your review of redox reactions and electrochemistry will help you answer questions in the chemical reactions domain, which makes up about 23% of the exam. We offer self-assessment quizzes with each lesson that help you get familiar with the format of the exam's questions as well as the content.
1. Assigning Oxidation Numbers to Elements in a Chemical Formula
Learn the importance of oxidation in chemical reactions. Discover the rules for assigning oxidation numbers in both covalent compounds and ionic compounds. Learn how to assign the oxidation number for each element in a chemical formula.
2. Balancing Redox Reactions and Identifying Oxidizing and Reducing Agents
Learn how to identify an oxidizing agent and a reducing agent and how the loss or gain of electrons applies to each one. Learn the relationship between an oxidized or reduced substance and the oxidizing or reducing agent associated with it. Discover what steps to take to balance a redox reaction.
3. The Activity Series: Predicting Products of Single Displacement Reactions
Discover what a single replacement reaction is and how to identify it. Learn what chemical activity is, how that applies to an activity series table and how to predict the product of a single replacement reaction by referring to the activity series.
4. Electrochemical Cells and Electrochemistry
Learn to identify the parts of and be able to describe an electrochemical cell, including the electrolyte, electrodes, anodes, and cathodes. Learn how to make a homemade lemon battery and how to diagram an electrochemical cell that will light a light bulb.
5. Cathode and Anode Half-Cell Reactions
Learn how to write electrode half-reactions for cathodes and anodes. Discover how to calculate cell voltage potential when given a table of standard electrode potentials. Learn how to prevent corrosion using redox concepts and how to protect metal by cathodic protection.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Chemistry (009): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Chemistry: Scientific Principles
- OAE Chemistry: Interdisciplinary Relationships in Science
- OAE Chemistry: Properties of Matter
- OAE Chemistry: Atomic Theory & the Periodic Table
- OAE Chemistry: Chemical Bonds
- OAE Chemistry: Intermolecular Forces
- OAE Chemistry: Liquids & Solids
- OAE Chemistry: Gases
- OAE Chemistry: Solutions & Solubility
- OAE Chemistry: Chemical Reactions & Kinetics
- OAE Chemistry: Chemical Equilibrium
- OAE Chemistry: Acids & Bases
- OAE Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- OAE Chemistry: Inorganic & Organic Compounds
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Chemistry Flashcards