About This Chapter
OAE Early Childhood Education: Assessments - Chapter Summary
You can use the lessons contained in this chapter to help you review the use of assessments in the classroom as you prepare for the OAE Early Childhood Education exam. The lessons go over topics including:
- Different types of assessments
- Qualities that distinguish good assessments
- Validity in assessments
- Standardized, formative and summative evaluations
- Pros and cons of standardized tests
- Uses and misuses of assessments
Our knowledgeable instructors present key information on assessments clearly and concisely to help you revisit what you learned in college, and possibly pick up a new fact or two. By studying the material in two different ways, through lessons and quizzes, you get double the exposure so your retention is enhanced.
OAE Early Childhood Education: Assessments - Chapter Objectives
The OAE Early Childhood Education exam is a computer-based test that evaluates your knowledge and comprehension of all aspects of early childhood education. Passing the test is part of the eligibility requirements for licensure as an early education teacher in the state of Ohio. The topics in this Assessments chapter can be found in Domain I: Child Development and Learning, which contributes 21% of the test questions. By taking the self-assessment quizzes that come with the lessons, you can check on your mastery of the material and gain practice with the kinds of questions that could appear on the test. The OAE Early Childhood Education exam is a computer-based-test made up of 150 multiple-choice items.
1. Forms of Assessment: Informal, Formal, Paper-Pencil & Performance Assessments
Educators often need to assess students' learning and achievement. There are multiple forms of assessments that educators use to not only gain knowledge about a student's level of understanding but also to guide the direction of future lessons and course curriculum. This lesson will differentiate between formal and informal assessments and paper-pencil versus performance-based assessments used in educational settings.
2. Qualities of Good Assessments: Standardization, Practicality, Reliability & Validity
Have you ever been in the middle of an assessment and thought, 'This question is unfair!' or 'This exam covers material I have never seen before!' If so, the assessment probably did not possess the qualities that make an assessment effective. This lesson will introduce you to the qualities of good assessments: reliability, standardization, validity, and practicality.
3. Validity in Assessments: Content, Construct & Predictive Validity
Ensuring that an assessment measures what it is intended to measure is a critical component in education. Assessment results are used to predict future achievement and current knowledge. This lesson will define the term validity and differentiate between content, construct, and predictive validity.
4. Performance Assessments: Product vs. Process
Playing a musical instrument, creating a spreadsheet and performing in a play are all activities that many of us engage in on a regular basis. These activities are also examples of ways teachers assess a student's mastery of a subject in educational settings. This lesson will define performance-based assessments and discuss the various uses of performance assessments in the classroom.
5. Standardized Assessments & Formative vs. Summative Evaluations
If you have ever attended a public school or college you have been subjected to a form of standardized assessment. These assessments serve multiple purposes and provide valuable information regarding one's abilities, understanding and potential. This lesson will introduce you to the types of standardized assessments commonly used in schools and discuss two other types of assessments: formative and summative.
6. Standardized Tests in Education: Advantages and Disadvantages
Standardized tests are used frequently in educational settings. This lesson will help you understand the advantages and disadvantages of these tests and also explore factors that impact standardized test performance.
7. Use and Misuse of Assessments in the Classroom
Assessments are excellent tools in the classroom. Used properly, they provide invaluable information about student knowledge and progress. However, if misused, assessments can misrepresent the actual knowledge and learning taking place in the classroom. This lesson will discuss the use and misuse of standardized assessments.
8. Involving Family & Other Professionals in Child Assessments
In this lesson, we will look at the kinds of professionals who might be involved in child assessments and how to encourage the family to participate in the ongoing assessment of their children.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Early Childhood Education (012): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Infant & Young Child Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Theories on Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Developmental Factors
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Child Health & Safety
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Positive Learning Environments
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Language Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Reading Instruction
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Writing Instruction
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Educator Role & Responsibilities
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Learning through the Arts
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Health & Physical Education
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Numbers & Arithmetic
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Language & Reasoning
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Studying Culture
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Studying Geography
- OAE Early Childhood Education: American History Overview
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Civics & Economics
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Basic Scientific Concepts
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Earth & Space Science
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Physical Sciences
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Living Organisms
- OAE Early Childhood Education Flashcards