About This Chapter
OAE Early Childhood Education: Basic Scientific Concepts - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter can help you brush up your learning about the fundamentals of science and how to teach them in your classroom. You'll get information that will aid you in answering questions on the following topics when you take the OAE Early Childhood Education exam:
- Creating a scientific hypothesis
- Understanding the scientific method
- Designing scientific experiments
- Mastering the vocabulary of science
- Exploring basic scientific concepts
- Listing resources an early childhood teacher can use in the classroom
Watch these lessons anytime on a computer or mobile device. You can take your time while studying, as each lesson can be viewed as many times as you'd like. The embedded video tags make it easy to return to troublesome points in the lesson for additional review.
OAE Early Childhood Education: Basic Scientific Concepts - Chapter Objectives
In Ohio, passing the OAE Early Childhood Education exam is required for certification to teach at this level. The material discussed in this chapter on scientific concepts may be found in the exam's section on learning across the curriculum, which makes up 36% of the total score.
The questions on this computer-based exam are all multiple-choice, and you can practice answering questions in this format by taking the quizzes that are included with each of our lessons. In addition to providing testing experience, the quizzes let you assess your knowledge and determine where you might need further study prior to taking the exam.
1. Developing a Scientific Hypothesis
This video describes how to create a hypothesis and includes the three main things needed to create a strong hypothesis. You'll learn how to make a clear statement that can be both tested and measured.
2. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
3. Experimental Design in Science: Definition & Method
What are the requirements of a scientific experiment? How do scientists turn hypotheses into theories and laws? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson on the design of scientific experiments.
4. Science Vocabulary & Concepts: Study Skills & Word Parts
Learning science presents a unique set of challenges for students. In this lesson, learn the tricks of the trade as we discuss scientific vocabulary and other science study skills.
5. Selecting Resources for Teaching Science to Young Children
Teaching children science is a fun yet challenging task that requires many different types of resources. Here we will describe how to select good resources and plan science lessons for young children. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Early Childhood Education (012): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Infant & Young Child Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Theories on Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Developmental Factors
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Child Health & Safety
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Positive Learning Environments
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Language Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Reading Instruction
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Writing Instruction
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Educator Role & Responsibilities
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Assessments
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Learning through the Arts
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Health & Physical Education
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Numbers & Arithmetic
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Language & Reasoning
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Studying Culture
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Studying Geography
- OAE Early Childhood Education: American History Overview
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Civics & Economics
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Earth & Space Science
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Physical Sciences
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Living Organisms
- OAE Early Childhood Education Flashcards