About This Chapter
OAE Early Childhood Education: Developmental Factors - Chapter Summary
The lessons contained within this chapter can be part of your strategy for studying Developmental Factors, in preparation for the OAE Early Childhood Education Exam. The videos go over all the important information to help you with these types of questions on the test:
- Issues in child and adolescent development
- Effects of parenting styles on learning styles
- Effects of abuse and neglect on child growth and development
- Intelligence and creativity in children
- Play and cognitive development
- Advantages of early childhood education
- Day care pros and cons
- Issues seen in elementary age children
Our knowledgeable instructors present all the important concepts and issues in ways that are clear and concise, to help you prepare for the test. Presenting the material using different didactic approaches makes it easier and more efficient to study and retain what you need to know.
Objectives of the OAE Early Childhood Education: Developmental Factors Chapter
The OAE Early Childhood Education Exam evaluates your knowledge and comprehension of all areas of early childhood education. You need to pass the exam to become licensed as a teacher in the state of Ohio. The lessons in this Developmental Factors chapter can be found within Domain I: Child Development and Learning, which make up 21% of the test items. The self-assessment quizzes available with each lesson make it possible for you to test your understanding of the information covered and give you a chance to answer the types of questions you'll find on the test.
The items on the OAE Early Childhood Education Exam are computer-based and are all multiple-choice. You will read passages and questions followed by several response alternatives. From the alternatives presented you need to select the single correct answer.
1. Child and Adolescent Development: Developmental Milestones & Nature vs. Nurture
How does a child develop cognitively? Which influences development more - genetics or the environment? How important are early experiences in the growth and cognitive development of a child? These are some of the major questions that guide the work of researchers in the field of educational psychology. This lesson will begin to address these questions by describing the basic principles that characterize child and adolescent development.
2. Impact of Parenting Styles on Different Styles of Learners
When you got in trouble as a child, how did your parents react? This lesson covers four different parenting styles identified in educational psychology, including authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent, and neglecting. Typical results from each parenting style are discussed in terms of children's behaviors, as well as application of the styles in a classroom environment.
3. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
4. Child Creativity and Intelligence
What is an IQ score? What do these scores mean? What role does creativity play in a child's development? Explore these concepts with this lesson and test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
5. The Role of Play in Cognitive Development
When we think of childhood, we often think of playing. But did you know that playing is vital to a child's healthy development? In this lesson, we will learn about the various types of play that aid a child's cognitive growth.
6. Early Childhood Education: Programs and Benefits
Many children go to preschool or Head Start as part of their early childhood. In this lesson, we'll look at what early childhood education is and two developmental reasons why it can be beneficial: brain development and the zone of proximal development.
7. The Pros & Cons of Day Care: Characteristics & Outcomes
Parents have many options for child care, including sending the child to day care. Watch this video to find out some of the advantages and disadvantages of sending a child to day care.
8. Common Issues with Elementary School Children
While childhood is meant to be a happy time, there are many children for whom it is a time of emotional difficulty. This lesson looks into some challenges that are common to elementary-aged children.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Early Childhood Education (012): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Infant & Young Child Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Theories on Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Child Health & Safety
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Positive Learning Environments
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Language Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Reading Instruction
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Writing Instruction
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Educator Role & Responsibilities
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Assessments
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Learning through the Arts
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Health & Physical Education
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Numbers & Arithmetic
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Language & Reasoning
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Studying Culture
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Studying Geography
- OAE Early Childhood Education: American History Overview
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Civics & Economics
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Basic Scientific Concepts
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Earth & Space Science
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Physical Sciences
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Living Organisms
- OAE Early Childhood Education Flashcards