About This Chapter
OAE Early Childhood Education: Educator Role & Responsibilities - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons look at how educators can best perform their duties, and include information on topics such as family relationships, students with special needs and time management techniques. These videos will help you prepare for questions on the following topics when you take the OAE Early Childhood Education exam:
- Describing effective strategies for the classroom and for teaching
- Understanding the family life cycle and family system theory
- Defining parent-child relationships
- Examining the theory of culturally responsive teaching
- Analyzing the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- Explaining how students qualify for special services
- Using time management and stress reduction techniques
- Section 504 accommodations
- Relating tips for successful parent-teacher conferences
- Listing field-specific professional organizations for educators
Our instructors are experts in the field who have designed entertaining and informative lessons and quizzes, filled with examples from real life. While you may have already studied many of the topics reviewed in this chapter, you probably will be exposed to a few new ideas as you refresh your knowledge for the test.
Objectives of the OAE Early Childhood Education: Educator Role & Responsibilities Chapter
All Ohio educators seeking certification to teach pre-k through third grade must pass the OAE Early Childhood Education exam. The topics this chapter explores are in the exam's section on professional relationships and responsibilities, which makes up 14% of the total score.
Like the brief quizzes that follow our lessons, this part of the exam consists of multiple-choice questions. Our quizzes allow you to gain experience answering these types of questions on a computer and also provide a chance to evaluate your knowledge of this topic. The video tags in the lessons make it easy to go back and review particular areas that might require more study.
1. What is Learning? - Understanding Effective Classroom Strategies
We all learn new things every day, but how is 'learning' defined in educational psychology? This lesson covers the definition of learning, different types of learning, and discusses learning styles.
2. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
3. Family System Theory: Definition and Changes Over Time
The term 'family' can have different definitions, such as a family of a mother, father, and children, or family units that consist of extended family members and friends. This lesson will define the family systems theory and explore various types of families, models of influence, and changing family trends.
4. The Family Life Cycle: Definition, Stages & Theory
What kind of phases does a family typically go through? In this lesson, we will examine the family life cycle, as well as learn about two measurements for family health: cohesion and adaptability.
5. Parent-Child Relationships: Definition & Explanation
The parent-child relationship is often considered to be the most enduring and significant relationship in one's life. This lesson will explain the different types of parent-child relationships and how they impact development. The lesson will end with a brief quiz to test your knowledge.
6. Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT): Theory, Research & Strategies
A person's culture can impact their approach to education and the way they learn. In this lesson, we'll examine culturally responsive teaching, a teaching method that takes into account students' cultures to help them succeed.
7. IDEA: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act - History and Summary
It is important for all teachers to understand the 2004 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and how it impacts students with disabilities. This lesson discusses the six main principles of IDEA and how they are implemented in the classroom.
8. How Students Qualify for Special Education Services
Understanding how students qualify for special education services can seem like an overwhelming task, but it doesn't have to be. In this video, we will break down the basics of special education qualification in the K-12 public school system.
9. Educating Students with Special Needs
In this lesson, we will explore how to educate students with special needs. We will specifically address how the educational needs of these students are best served if they are in a mainstream classroom being taught alongside their peers.
10. Using an Individual Education Program (IEP) in the Classroom
In this lesson, we will explore what an Individual Education Program (IEP) is and the three key components of an IEP. We will also discuss who needs an IEP and who does not.
11. What Are Section 504 Regulations & Accommodations in Public Schools?
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a critical piece of legislation designed to protect individuals with disabilities. In this video, we will explore the components of Section 504 as well as how it impacts school-aged students.
12. What is Time Management? - Definition, Examples & Studies
There are more options today than ever before for ways to spend our time - or waste it! Read on to learn why and how we can better manage our most scarce resource.
13. Time Management & Job Stress
Time management is something we all deal with as our lives get more hectic. In this lesson, we will address time management and the stress it can put on an individual in the workplace.
14. Parent Teacher Conference Tips
'It takes a village to raise a child.' Although many know this to be an old African proverb, research has shown that student achievement increases when parents and teachers work together. This lesson will explore the importance of the parent-teacher conference when it comes to student success.
15. Field-Specific Professional Organizations in Education
Joining a professional education organization can provide educators with all sorts of benefits. But how can a teacher find an association in his or her content area? Watch this lesson for the benefits of field-specific organizations and how to find one.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Early Childhood Education (012): Practice & Study Guide course
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Infant & Young Child Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Theories on Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Developmental Factors
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Child Health & Safety
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Positive Learning Environments
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Language Development
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Reading Instruction
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Writing Instruction
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Assessments
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Learning through the Arts
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Health & Physical Education
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Numbers & Arithmetic
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Language & Reasoning
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Studying Culture
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Studying Geography
- OAE Early Childhood Education: American History Overview
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Civics & Economics
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Basic Scientific Concepts
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Earth & Space Science
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Physical Sciences
- OAE Early Childhood Education: Living Organisms
- OAE Early Childhood Education Flashcards